Rugby Borough FC Development (2) – QPR FC Women Reserves (4)

Reserve South-East Central Division

Team: Francis-Pownall, Petrie, Salim, Lewin, McElroy, Hennessy, Louvrier, Medeiros, Salah, Ekere-Ekun, Fatri

Subs: Mammeri, Agyeman, Rogers, Reed

Attendance: 51

I was given three different prices at Euston Station ticket office, two of which depended as to whether I got the fast or the slower train!

Upon arrival at Rugby Station, I had hoped to get a bus to the ground, but after a long, unsuccessful walk into town, I eventually had to get a taxi.

The first person I spoke to was one of the parents and later I managed to obtain the starting line-up.

The home side took an early lead. The No.11’s cross found Sarah Hassanin, who then fired the ball into the corner of the net.

Then, from a breakaway, the R’s equalised when Dahlia Salah slotted the ball home.

Mai Louvrier shot just wide of the upright from outside the box, and later, the same player did well to clear an in-swinging corner.

Looking initially like a lost cause, the R’s No.6 did well down the left-flank before proceeding to the bye-line and the resulting ball was knocked in by Assia Fatri to give Rangers the lead.

The Borough players had momentarily stopped for presumably expecting that the referee would call a halt to play, and the goal stood.

After beating her marker, Breanna Medeiros’s strike at goal was saved at the near post.

At the other end, Mya Francis-Pownall, whilst under pressure, did well to smother the ball at the feet of an opponent.

Both sides continued to create chances. The Borough No.7 went on a run through the middle, beat a couple of defenders before shooting just over the bar.

Breanna Medeiros’s cross into the box, resulted in a shot being blocked and the ball then going behind for a goal-kick. Half-time: 2-1.

Into the second-half, and following good work by Breanna Medeiros, Mai Louvrier scooped the ball into the keeper’s gloves.

Following a powerful strike at goal, the R’s keeper did well to grab the ball and smother it.

And then a minute or so later, Mya Francis-Pownall was called into action again with an excellent flying save to deny the home side.

Breanna Medeiros skipped past the No.3 and her superb cross ended up being put-out for a throw-in.

Borough equalised after 73 minutes when Nicole Calder headed in following a corner.

Rangers re-took the lead after substitute Lexy Reed, had bombed down the left-wing, before cutting in and firing the ball, low into the far corner.

An R’s substitute defender could well have denied the home side an equaliser when she just managed to get a boot to the ball and clear the danger.

However, it was the R’s who sealed their victory when Breanna Medeiros’s run upfield concluded with a good ball into the box, where Lexy Reed was well-placed to smash the ball home.

A good result for the R’s and an entertaining game.

Steve Russell