Millwall Lionesses (1) – QPR FC Women (1) – The R’s Bow Out 4-5 on Penalties

Capital Women’s Cup

Team: Melling, Curr, McCrea, Carolan, Blodgett, Lewin, Shephard, Hennessy, Stanley, Ward-Chambers, Searle

After knocking out Dorking Wanderers in the previous round, the R’s then took on Millwall Lionesses at St. Paul’s Sports Ground, the home of Fisher Athletic.

The first shot on target was provided by the home side, but Nicole Melling was able to make a comfortable save.

At the other end, following Grace Shephard’s cross from the right, the ball was aimed directly at Wiktoria Gmterek.

After 11 minutes, Shannan Drewe’s dangerous cross put over from the left-flank evaded a number of players around the six-yard box.

Then, the Millwall keeper successfully grabbed the ball following Ellie Searle’s side-footed attempt at goal.

A deep free kick looked as if it was going straight under the bar, but Nicole Melling superbly dived backwards to push the ball over.

Georgie Lewin’s free kick from distance was knocked onto the crossbar by the Millwall keeper.

The Lionesses took the lead around the half-hour mark. Clementine Young’s initial strike came off the bar and Maizi Garwood was well-placed to follow up.

Just before the break, Wiktoria Gmterek made an excellent save from Ellie Searle’s close-range strike. Half-time: 0-1.   

The first change of the second-half saw Emilia Nygaard-Parsons replace Grace Shephard.

Rangers deservedly equalised after 54 minutes. Ellie Searle was clipped in the area and, although she didn’t go down, the referee pointed to the spot. The Rangers winger then buried the ball to the keeper’s right.

Mya Francis-Pownall came on to replace Nicole Melling in goal.

Ellie Searle bombed down the wing, before squaring the ball to Grace Stanley and the R’s striker’s shot just evaded the upright.

The final QPR change saw the introduction of Frankie Webster at the expense of Ailish Carolan.

Neither side could force a winner so the tie would be decided with a penalty shootout.

Alice Curr put the first one wide and at 1-1, Mya Francis-Pownall kept it all-square.

Then, Jo Blodgett converted her spot kick to make it 2-1 to the away side.

However, at 4-4 after Frankie Webster’s shot had been saved, it was left to Ella Bailey to send Millwall into the next round.

Steve Russell

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.