QPR FC Women (2) – AFC Wimbledon Women (7)

FA Women’s National League Division One (South-East)

Team: Melling, Curr, Searle, Owen, Blodgett, Lewin, Petit, Hill, Akerman, McCrea, Stanley

On a dry but chilly afternoon at the Powerday Stadium, the Rangers players were led out by the two mascots, Chloe and Holly.

 It was Grace Stanley who tested Lauren Allen in the opening minutes, with a strike from inside the box.

At the other end, a cross in from the left found a Dons player in space, who proceeded to knock the ball directly at Nichole Melling. The R’s keeper then bravely smothered the ball at the feet of an opponent.

The visitors were certainly now in the ascendancy and a shot from, I think Ashleigh Goddard, ended up in the side-netting. 

The Dons quickly counter-attacked after seizing upon a loose ball in midfield, which concluded with Ellie Dorey’s shot rattling the crossbar. 

Wimbledon took the lead just before the break when Emily Donovan’s volley looped into the net. Half-time: 0-1. 

No team changes for the start of the second-half, but Ellie Searle was pushed further forward. 

The away side doubled their lead within two minutes. After collecting a long ball from defence, Ashlee Hincks fired her shot into the bottom corner from 20-yards.

For the R’s, Grace Stanley’s strike from just outside the box ended up in the keeper’s gloves. She then saw her next effort bounce off the crossbar.

Wimbledon’s third goal came following Hannah Billingham’s cross from the left, which was then volleyed into the top corner by Ashlee Hincks.

The Dons added a fourth goal when Lucy Porter picked out Rosie Russell at the far post for a tap-in.

Nicole Melling was forced down to make a good stop and the follow-up was headed off the line by Georgie Lewin. 

It was soon five for the visitors when Ashlee Hincks completed her hat-trick. 

On 69 minutes, Steve Quashie brought on Ailish Carolan to replace Katie Akerman. And just a couple of minutes later the R’s substitute pulled a goal back. 

Two changes were made on 78 minutes, which saw the introduction of Laura Hennessy and Grace Shephard at the expense of Izzy Owen and Ellie Searle respectively. 

On 80 minutes, Rangers scored a second goal. As Grace Stanley chased the ball, Lauren Allen came out to clear. Both players then went for the ball and through a ricochet it rolled over the line.

Minutes later, Assia Fatri came on for Kasha Petit.

The Dons were awarded a penalty after Rosie Russell was knocked over in the box. Ashlee Hincks stepped up and made no mistake with her spot-kick.

Just before the final whistle Ashlee Hincks scored her fifth goal of the afternoon when she lofted the ball over the R’s keeper.

Steve Quashie’s side then travelled to the Hanbury Park Stadium to face Haywards Heath Town.

Steve Russell

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.