AFC Wimbledon Women (5) – QPR FC Women (3)

FA Women’s National League Division One (South East)

Team: Francis-Pownall, Curr, Searle, Harris, Blodgett, Lewin, Petit, Hennessy, Nygaard-Parsons, Hill, McCrea

Subs: Owen, Jordinson, Akerman, Stanley, Webster

Attendance: 820

On a very hot afternoon at the Cherry Red Records Stadium, it was the R’s who had the ball in the net first, but a late flag had ruled out Emilia Nygaard-Parson’s strike. 

The home side took the lead in the 4th minute following Hannah Billingham’s run down the left-flank. The Dons captain’s low ball into the box was then touched home by Emily Donovan. 

Wimbledon doubled their lead ten minutes later after another cross from the left-wing. The R’s keeper couldn’t quite grab the ball and Emily Donovan was well-placed to finish.

The Dons almost added a third following another cross from the left. Mya Francis-Pownall stopped the initial effort and Ellie Searle then did well to clear the ball off the line.

Rangers had been coming back into the game and scored after 32 minutes. Kasha Petit beautifully chipped the ball over the keeper after weaving her way into the box. 

The R’s equalised close to the break. Renai McCrea set-off upfield and superbly slotted the ball beyond Faye Baker. Half-time: 2-2.

Early in the second-half, Wimbledon regained the lead in controversial circumstances. With little or no remonstration from the Dons players, Mr Fullick had adjudged that Mya Francis-Pownall had committed a foul on Ashleigh Goddard and pointed to the spot! Not only that, the lino’s flag had been raised just prior to the alleged incident!

Ashlee Hincks stepped up and planted the ball in the back of the net.

Eight minutes or so later, the Dons scored a fourth goal after Rangers had lost possession outside the box. Ashleigh Goddard’s low strike found the bottom-corner. 

Wimbledon were awarded a free kick 25-yards out and from which, Ashlee Hincks’s shot went over the wall and into the net. 

A strong finish from the R’s resulted in a third goal. Grace Stanley was put through and she proceeded to shoot past Faye Baker. 

As Rangers looked for another goal, Sandra Soares Martins was booked for kicking the ball away in the closing stages. 

Next up for Steve Quashie’s side was a mid-week trip to the Oakside Stadium where they faced London Seaward. 

Steve Russell