Hashtag United Women (4) – QPR FC Women (0)

FA Women’s National League Division One (South East)

Team: McLean, Webster, Carolan, Gunn, Jordinson, Searle, Owen, Pope, Akerman, Petit, Stanley

After a bit of a detour, we still managed to arrive at the Parkside Stadium, the home of Aveley FC, in good time.

There are two small stands behind each of the goals, plus a larger, seated one on one side of the ground and situated directly opposite there is a seated area in front of a big clubhouse. No match programmes were available. 

It was good to see a number of Rangers fans around the ground.

Hashtag had secured the title a week earlier at Hanwell and the team were applauded onto the pitch by the Rangers players and also lined-up were the Hashtag men’s side.

After Hashtag had won a corner, a header flashed just wide of the target. Then, following a free kick, Katie McLean made a superb one-handed save to deny the home side taking the lead. 

But they did go in front seconds later, when Maddie Farrand’sshot found the bottom-corner. 

Around the 20th minute, Malika Apindia took control of a long-ball and, as the R’s keeper advanced, she lobbed it into the net.

Looking like she was offside, Malika Apindia got one-on-one with Katie McLean, but the Rangers keeper made a great stop with her legs. Apart from playing through the centre, the dangerous Hashtag No.14 was also switching from wing to wing. Half time: 0-2. 

After a fairly even opening to the second-half, it was the home side who came close to adding another goal when, after a shot came off the crossbar, Katie McLean made an outstanding save and the ball went behind for a corner. 

Then, the United No.20 raced through the middle and, getting into a one-on-one situation with the R’s Keeper, Katie McLean made another excellent save.

Lauren Jordinson required some attention following a heavy challenge. 

On 65 minutes, Steve Quashie brought on Mel Hall at the expense of Izzy Owen.

Following a defensive error, Emma Samways had the easy task of slotting the ball home. 

The final two changes of the afternoon saw Renee Johnson and Emilia Nygaard-Parsons replace Frankie Webster and Grace Stanley respectively. 

Grace Gillard slotted in goal number four following a swift breakaway. 

At the other end, a free kick from around 25 yards, was comfortably saved by the Hashtag keeper.

Then, a great pass found Emilia Nygaard-Parsons, and the R’s sub’s flick then came off the upright. 

It finished 4-0 to the league champions who celebrated once again at the final whistle, along with the Club’s successful men’s side.

Steve Russell