QPR FC Women (5) – Ascot United Women (0)

Combined Counties Midweek Women’s Cup

Team: Francis-Pownall, Leys, Wardlaw, Bishop, Johnson, Norman, Akerman, Hall, Cutler, Moore, Petit

Rangers took the field in their away kit and for the visitors it was a welcome return to the Powerday Stadium for former R’s goalkeeper, Lucie White. 

After a cagey start it was the R’s who provided the first shot on target, which Lucie White comfortably held.

A minute later, I think it was Tiffany Skinner who shot directly into Mya Francis-Pownall’s gloves. 

Rangers took the lead after 12 minutes when the ball was knocked to an unmarked Millie Cutler, who then tapped the ball into the net. 

The R’s were now stamping their authority on the game. Katie Akerman’s free kick dipped over the crossbar, and then, following a handball, Mel Hall had a similar effort, which also closely evaded the frame of the goal. 

The home side doubled their lead around the half-hour mark after Kasha Petit had set-up Mel Hall, who proceeded to slot the ball in the net from close range. Half-time: 2-0. 

Lauren Jordinson and Izzy Owen were introduced ten minutes into the second-half and five minutes later Grace Stanley replaced Kasha Petit. 

Katie Akerman’s free kick from just outside the corner of the box was punched away by Lucie White. Then the R’s No.7was in action again. Her volley was well saved by the Ascot Keeper and the ball went behind.

After a good interception, Mel Hall took the ball up to midfield to set-up a Rangers attack. 

QPR added a third goal after 75 minutes courtesy of Millie Cutler. Her shot from a wide-right position, curled late and entered the net inside the far-post. 

Ellen Wardlaw let fly from a good 25-yards and the ball whizzed just wide of the upright. 

The fourth goal arrived after a United defender had lost possession and the resulting shot was knocked onto the post by Lucie White, where Laura Hennessy was able to follow-up with the final touch. 

Rangers notched up a fifth goal in the final stages after Nicole Leys had been impeded just outside the penalty area. The R’s No.2 then stepped up and beautifully floated the ball over the wall and beyond Lucie White. And then almost immediately the referee blew the final whistle. 

Also brought on in the second-half were Jo Blodgett and Laura Hennessy.

Steve Russell