QPR FC Women (2) – Cambridge City Ladies (1)

FA Women’s National League Division One (South East)

Team: McLean, Curr, Searle, Lewin, Jordinson, Carolan, Blodgett, Hennessy, Stanley, Moore, Petit

After a fairly even opening, it was the visitors who created the first real opportunity of the afternoon, but the effort ended up just wide of the target. 

Then, after the ball had fallen to Kasha Petit, the R’s No.11’s close-range shot was deflected for a corner. From which, the Lilywhites keeper palmed away Lauren Jordinson’s attempt on goal. 

After the City No.5 had tripped Jo Blodgett, the free kick from around 25-yards was successfully blocked by the Cambridge wall. 

The away side took the lead after a Rangers defender’s flick found Becca Stephenson who continued route-one on goal before placing the ball wide of Katie McLean.

As the R’s looked to respond, Kasha Petit did really well to win a corner whilst under a lot of pressure and Brogan Moore had a shot deflected just wide. Half-time: 0-1.

Into the second-half, and it was the Lilywhites who almost doubled their lead. Katie McLean superbly finger-tipped the ball behind for a corner. From which, the ball was headed away and then cleared to safety. 

Rangers got the equaliser they deserved after around 55 minutes. Following an excellent move, Laura Hennessy tapped the ball to Jo Blodgett, who then fired the ball into the back of the net. 

Two changes were then made, which saw Ellen Wardlaw and Katie Ackerman replace Alice Curr and Brogan Moore respectively. 

As the R’s upped the tempo, Ailish Carolan belted the ball just wide of the post. Then, Ellie Searle’s excellent run down the left got her to the bye-line, where she managed to win a corner. From which, the ball was knocked wide. 

On 65 minutes, Millie Cutler was introduced at the expense of Kasha Petit. 

After having a shot blocked, City burst upfield and forced Katie McLean into making an excellent save. 

At the other end, after Ellie Searle had squared the ball, the City keeper made an amazing point-blank save to deny the R’s taking the lead. 

Ellie Searle received a kick on the shin as she attempted to ride a challenge and then went down requiring some attention. 

The home side had pretty-much dominated the half, but had they run out of time to snatch a well-deserved winner? It came very close to the final whistle. 

The ball fell to Grace Stanley in the box and the R’s No.9 then smashed the ball into the roof of the net. 

Earlier Gabby Bishop had come on for Ailish Carolan.

A very welcome and well deserved three points for the R’s.

Steve Russell