QPR FC Women (4) – Enfield Town Women (1)

Capital Women’s Cup

Team: McLean, Curr, Searle, Carolan, Gunn, Jordinson, Hall, Hennessy, Cutler, Akerman, Petit

The previous Sunday Steve Quashie’s side had travelled to Bristol to take on Cheltenham Town in a friendly. I heard  that Rangers put on a very good performance but had lost the game 1-2. Frankie Webster got the R’s goal.

Due to the recent poor weather it was decided to switch this cup tie to Harlington.

On a very cold afternoon, it was the R’s who went close to taking the lead after just a minute or so. Following good work by Kasha Petit in the build-up, Laura Hennessy’s header struck the crossbar.

Then, just a couple of minutes later, Katie Akerman smashed the ball into the back of the net from close-on 30-yards!

At the other end, Enfield created a very good goalscoringopportunity, but the ball ended up wide of the upright.

As the R’s looked to increase their lead, Millie Cutler bombed forward, turned her marker, but her effort was comfortablyheld by the keeper.

For Enfield, a lofted cross into the box was well-hit on the volley and the ball looped over the crossbar.

However, Rangers soon doubled their lead after Alice Currhad set-up Kasha Petit, who proceeded to fire the ball into the net from around 25-yards.

The visitors pulled a goal back ten minutes or so before the break following a clumsy foul just inside the box. Katie O’Leary stepped up and planted the ball to Katie McLean’s right.

Then, a Katie Akerman shot flashed just wide of the post. Half-time: 2-1.

Into the second-half, and after Katie Akerman had forced a corner, two players ended up going down. After receiving some treatment, the Enfield player was forced off and had to be replaced.

Katie Akerman was harshly booked following a strong, but fair challenge on an opponent. A few minutes later Jo Blodgett replaced her.

Millie Cutler added a third goal around the hour mark. After turning her marker, the R’s No.9 slotted the ball into the net as the keeper advanced. This resulted in an injury to the Enfield custodian and had to be replaced.

Steve Quashie brought on Georgie Lewin and Brogan Moore at the expense of Ailish Carolan and Mel Hall respectively.

Following a dangerous corner, Katie McLean managed to successfully get something on the ball which then resulted in a goal-kick.

The home side were providing some excellent build-up play and possession and another good move, which involved Jo Blodgett and Millie Cutler, led to a well-taken fourth goal for the R’s. Eliie Searle’s low-shot evaded the Enfield keeper.

The visitor’s No.11 was booked following a collision and later, after she was fouled, Chloe Gunn was also shown a yellow card.

Two other changes were made in the second-half, which saw Laura Hennessy and Millie Cutler make way for Grace Stanley and Erin Pope respectively.

Steve Russell