QPR (3) – Crouch End Vampires (1) – ‘A Moment later the Last Named (McDavid) was again allowed to Romp through & Score, a Deed he Executed with much Gusto’

Team: Hunt, Teagle, Hughes, Brooks, Musslewhite, McKenzie, Hadwick, Evans, Ward, McDavid, Wallington

Apart from competing (briefly), in the London League (Division One) at the start of the 1897/98 season, the Rangers were also involved in the FA Cup, London Charity Cup, Middlesex Senior Cup and the London Senior Cup.

That aside, there were also a large number of friendlies over the course of the season, which included the visit of the Crouch End Vampires to the Kensal Rise Athletic Ground on 12th March 1898. The following match report later appeared in the Holloway Press:

‘The Crouch End Vampires were unfortunate in not being able to take a representative eleven to West Kilburn on Saturday, to meet the Queen’s Park Rangers.

The fresh material in the Enders’ team, however, gave a fairly good account of itself – the game was spirited and dashing; and though the Rangers won by three goals to one, there was no indication in the play of that superiority which the goal-score would seem to assign to the home team.

The desertion of Turner caused the Enders to requisition a substitute. Then, acting on unfortunate advice, Cane went forward, first at inside, then at outside-right.

All the scoring too place in the first-half, and each of the Rangers’ goals was fruit from the same source, muddling amongst the Enders’ halves.

A goodly crowd was present when Mr Clarke, R.A., started whistling. “Hands” to the Enders – Wallington and McDavid galloped away and Stapleford saved twice. Then Cane and Hay removed the danger to the other end.

Seventeen minutes elapsed, and Ward shot a soft one for the Rangers.

Pretty passing by the Enders’ quintette gave several chances of equalising, which were all neglected, and McDavid broke through and placed the home team two goals ahead.

The Enders now got busy around Hunt, who conceded a corner from a stiff drive by Cane. Shortly following this, excellent combination amongst the forwards resulted in Groves netting a goal for the visitors.

Hay obtained two corners, both of which he placed behind goal. Stapleford saved from Evans and McDavid, a moment later the last-named was again allowed to romp through and score, a deed he executed with much gusto. Half-time: Rangers 3, Enders 1.

With the second 45, Cane resumed his old position, and the balance of play fell to the Enders. Whittaker and Groves put in some very polished passing, but their final efforts lacked vigour.

A playful illegality by Brooks should have given the Enders a penalty goal, but Groves who took the kick, succeeded in hitting the bar and averting a score.

The Rangers were once or twice dangerous, and the Enders gave Hunt several warm moments, but nothing further had been scored when time arrived.

Of the Rangers, Wallington and McDavid were the heroes of the attack; whilst Teagle and Brooks were most prominent for the defence; the latter studies the art of turning somersaults, he played a grand game, and will do better if he subdues his inclination to perform to the gallery.

Of the Enders; Stapleford was not Waller; nor May, Wilshaw. Cane was not up to his usual, the backs did well, and the forwards were successful in everything save the minor particular of goal-shooting.’

Rangers went on to play them twice the following season, (a win & a draw) and later knocked them out of the FA Cup in 1901.

The Club were formed following the merger of Crouch End and Vampires FC in 1897. They are currently members of the Southern Amateur League Senior Division 2.

Steve Russell

(My thanks to Gordon Macey (RIP) & to Colin Woodley for sending me the report)