QPR B (3) – Brighton & Hove Albion U21 (4)

Premier League Cup

Team: Mahoney, Jude-Boyd, Pitblado, Rossi, Rendall, Cotter, Bala, Murphy, Lloyd, Pedder, Adarkwa

Subs: Salamon, Dougui, Angelov, Ajose, Anthony

On a mild evening at the Powerday Stadium, it was the R’s who took the lead on nine minutes. The Seagulls had enjoyed most of the early play, but after losing possession, Alfie Lloyd set-up Sean Adarkwa who proceeded to slot the ball home.

Albion had a good opportunity to draw level following a dangerous ball into the box, but the first-time effort was directed straight at Murphy Mahoney.

They then took advantage of Rangers losing possession but the resulting shot lacked power and Murphy Mahoney was able to comfortably hold on to the ball.

With the introduction of some light rain, a centre from the right-wing ended up with Andy Moran’s effort bouncing off the crossbar and going behind for a corner.

At the other end, a powerful shot by Rafferty Pedder forced Killian Cahill into a superb diving save.

This was a good spell for the R’s and whilst driving forward, Steven Bala was blatantly pushed from behind. Harry Murphy’s free kick whizzed just wide of the target.

On 40 minutes, a Rangers counter-attack saw Alfie Lloyd knock the ball to Steven Bala and the R’s No.7 fired wide of Killian Cahill.

The home side went further ahead five minutes later following a throw-in. Rafferty Pedder burst through into the box and picked his spot.

Just before the break, Murphy Mahoney made an excellent close-range save. Then, Andy Moran chopped down Arkell Jude-Boyd. The Rangers defender didn’t react and got straight back up on his feet as Mr Parsons booked the culprit. Half-time: 3-0.

Into the second-half and after cutting in from the left, Steven Bala’s low shot was stopped by Cahill’s legs.

Albion began to take the initiative and really should have got a goal back, but the Brighton player, finding himself unmarked in the box, shot wide.

Murphy Mahoney made a brilliant save at the near-post, but on 73 minutes Andy Moran looped the ball into the back of the net.

A second goal followed four minutes later after Sean Adarkwa had clipped an opponent in the box. Ben Wilson stepped-up and squeezed the ball into the corner of the net.

Antef Tsoungui was shown a yellow card as was Trent Rendall soon after, presumably for dissent?

Although the Seagulls were having the best of it, Rafferty Pedder, whilst evading a number of challenges, smashed the ball goalwards, but Killian Cahill made a very good stop. In quick succession, the Albion keeper made another excellent save from Sean Adarkwa’s follow-up effort and the third attempt was blocked.

With around a minute or so from the ninety, Brighton substitute, Benicio Baker-Boaitey equalised.

Five added minutes were displayed, and the R’s had Alfie Lloyd receive a second yellow card. As the visitors went for a dramatic winner, Isaac Pitblado cleared off the line.

But in the 96th minute, Andy Moran forced the ball into the net following a goalmouth scramble.

I didn’t see it, but it was later reported that Rafferty Pedder was given a straight red card either just before, or just after the final whistle.

Amongst those looking on was Charley Kendall.

Thanks to Joe English for the lift home.

Steve Russell