QPR U23 (6) – Nottingham Forest U23 (2)

Premier League Cup

Team: Little, Williams-Lowe, Woollard-Innocent, Drewe, Mahorn, Pruti, Armstrong, Aoraha, Adarkwa, Duke-McKenna, Alfa

Subs: Roach, Kefalas, Ajose, Aveiro, Mema

Under the lights in Ruislip and in the opening minutes it was Stephen Duke-McKenna who provided the first effort of the evening. His powerful shot just evaded the crossbar.

But the R’s soon took the lead. Ody Alfa picked his spot and fired the ball into the top corner.

After around nine minutes, Duke McKenna scored the first of his two goals when he belted the ball low, into the corner of the net.

Just three minutes later the R’s notched up a third goal when Aaron Drewe scored from close range.

And in the 16th minute Rangers were awarded a penalty after Duke-McKenna was fouled in the box. The R’s No.10 made no mistake with his spot-kick.

At the other end, Max Little had to dive low to finger-tip the ball behind for a corner.

As QPR looked to increase their lead, an unmarked Sinclair Armstrong headed the ball into Nicky Hogart’s gloves from a corner.

Forest attempted an audacious lob which then glanced off the post to safety. Mr Miles booked a Reds player for stupidly kicking the ball away.

A few minutes from the break, Stephen Duke-McKenna was clearly incensed after being on the end of a bad challenge from an opponent. This resulted in a coming together of a number of players from both sides and the R’s No.10, plus the culprit, being yellow carded.

Duke-McKenna didn’t calm down and Andy Impey decided to take him off and bring on Brandon Aveiro.

Ateef Konate pulled one back for the visitors and the R’s left the field 4-1 to the good.

Into the second-half and Rangers scored a fifth following a great through ball which set up Ody Alfa He then aimed his shot, low into the back of the net.

The R’s No.11 went on a great run down the left-flank which took him to the bye-line. This resulted in Sinclair Armstrong aiming his shot directly at the Forest keeper.

Lewis Salmon got on the end of a penetrative pass, but as Max Little advanced, the Forest substitute rounded him and he had the easy task of slotting the ball in the net.

Amelindo Mema was introduced at the expense of Sinclair Armstrong.

Forest went close to getting a third goal following a corner. The ball was headed against the crossbar, but it bounced behind to safety.

Rangers increased their lead after Sean Adarkwa tapped in from close range. Andy Impey later brought on Joseph Ajose to replace him.

It could well have been seven, but Ajose shot over the crossbar after good work down the left-flank.

QPR’s next League Cup opponents are Blackburn Rovers who visit the Grosvenor Vale Stadium on 16th November.

Steve Russell