QPR U23 (1) – Barnsley U23 (2)

U23 Professional Development League 2

Team: Walsh, Drewe, Domi, Kefalas, Dunne, Gubbins, Duke-McKenna, Amos, Taylor-Crossdale, Thomas, Alfa

Stephen Duke-McKenna captained the side and it was good to see Luke Amos at No.8 after getting 45 minutes under his belt at Peterborough the previous week.

Amos was instrumental in starting the move which led to the opening goal within a minute or so. He superbly rode a tackle in midfield and then tapped the ball to his left, which resulted in trialist, Martell Taylor-Crossdale placing his shot into the corner of the net.

Rangers went close to adding a second goal when, following a good move, George Thomas’ first-time shot closely evaded the post.

The Tykes first goalscoring effort eventually came after around 28 minutes. It didn’t trouble Joe Walsh as he watched it fly wide of the post.

The visitors did equalise after a light back-pass was closed down by Cameron Thompson and Joe Walsh’s intended clearance ricocheted into the back of the net.

Then Victor Adeboyejo wriggled his way into the box and his powerful shot was met by Joe Walsh’s strong hands and the ball went over the crossbar. Half-time: 1-1.

Into the second-half, and following some great work from Duke-McKenna in midfield, and after a delightful dummy, he set up Ody Alfa, but his shot was aimed straight at the keeper.

This was a productive period for the R’s. An excellent ball to Aaron Drewe, who had popped up in the box, resulted in Daniel Jinadu going down to make a strong, one-handed save to deny the Rangers defender.

Whilst at the other end, a Barnsley player got himself into a good position, but his shot flew just past the far post.

The visitors took the lead after Mr Whalley had ignored a foul on Stephen Duke-McKenna and Adeboyejo then set up David Bremang who proceeded to slot the ball home from close range.

Around the hour mark, Andy Impey brought on Alex Aorahato replace Luke Amos, which was soon followed by Franklin Domi making way for Kayden Williams-Lowe.

With a few minutes remaining, Jake Frailing came on for Martell Taylor-Crossdale, who had clearly been struggling for a while from a knock.

The visitors had the best of the second-half and at the final whistle the score remained at 1-2 in their favour.

Steve Russell