QPR U23 (2) – Colchester United U23 (0)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Barnes, Williams-Lowe, Domi, Smith (M), Rowan, Carlyle, Shodipo, Wells (B), Mlakar, Chair, Dalling

Subs Not Used: Brzozowski, Duncan

Ilias Chair captained an R’s side that included Dillon Barnes and Jan Mlakar.

Into the game and although Mr O’Donnell awarded a free kick he didn’t book the culprit who had elbowed Jan Mlakar!

Then two well-positioned R’s players slid towards Deshane Dalling’s low cross, but they couldn’t quite make contact and the ball continued on its way.

Soon after, Olamide Shodipo’s cross from the right-wing picked out Dalling in the box, but the R’s No.11 headed just wide.

Whilst at the other end, a low ball in from the left found his team mate in loads of space, who then let fly, forcing Dillon Barnes to tip his shot behind for a corner.

QPR took the lead on 21 minutes following a good run by Ilias Chair. The ball was knocked on to Mlakar and the R’s No.9 dinked it over the oncoming Callum Coulter.

As Rangers went in search of another goal, Chair laid on an excellent pass with the outside of his boot to Dalling, whose cross was met by Mlakar, but his effort was saved and the follow-up was belted into the side-netting.

The U’s had a number of unsuccessful opportunities to even up matters. One shot whizzed past the far post and soon after another effort ended up in Dillon Barnes’ gloves.

Then a couple of minutes later the Rangers keeper was forced down to make another save.

Olamide Shodipo had switched wings and, running at top speed he successfully won a 40/60 ball. He then crossed to Dalling, but from just over six yards out he ballooned the ball well over the bar.

Jan Mlakar was seated on the ground on two occasions within a couple of minutes in some obvious difficulty and was replaced by Stephen Duke-McKenna. Half-time: 1-0.

QPR started the second-half with Deshane Dalling moving upfront.

Dillon Barnes denied the visitors an equaliser when he pulled off an amazing point-blank save. Then soon after, he bravely grabbed the ball at the feet of an opponent.

Matt Smith took aim and pulled the trigger and as Callum Coulter dived full-stretch the ball then swerved away from him.

Ilias Chair provided another excellent pass and as Coulter advanced, Dalling’s shot skimmed the outside of the upright.

Paul Hall withdrew Ilias Chair after 60 odd minutes. He sent on Jake Frailing to replace him and collect his armband. Later, Mr O’Donnell booked Charlie Rowan.

The U’s missed an absolute sitter when their golden opportunity ended up completely missing the target and going past the post.

The Colchester keeper made a very good save when Shodipo fired his shot goalwards and he also did well to hold on to the ball.

Rangers eventually doubled their lead after 77 minutes, following a bit of a scramble in the box. Matt Smith turned his marker on a sixpence and squeezed the ball into the net from a slight angle.

It’s a return to Harlington for Paul Hall’s side on 16th when they take on Cardiff City.

Steve Russell