QPR U23 (1) – Bristol City U23 (4)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Bowman, Felix, Genovesi, Wells, Kefalas, Fox, Tilt, Owens, Walker, Barton, Shodipo

Sub Not Used: Brzozowski

On a cold, damp afternoon at Harlington, the visitors took an early lead with the QPR defence all over the place. Myles Bowman, on a rare appearance, made two blocks before Ricardo Rees put away the rebound.

Olamide Shodipo put a great ball into the box, which just evaded a team-mate and then ended up over the crossbar.

The Rangers winger was putting in a very assertive performance, causing three City players, Chris Turner-Williams, Jack Spark and Jayden Ali, to foul him in rotation!

Myles Bowman did really well to successfully grab the ball and avert the danger whilst at the other end, Chay Tilt mis-hit his effort after being set up.

Then an excellent run by Shodipo took him to the bye-line where he won a corner. The ball into the box was met by Charlie Fox, but he didn’t fully connect with his header and it went over the bar.

The visitors went in search of a second goal as Ben Wells cleared off the line, Tom Richards shot wide from close range and it was no surprise when it came just before the break.

Sam Pearson’s shot from 25-yards took two deflections en route before hitting the bottom corner. Half-time: 0-2.

Mickel Platt started the second-half at the expense of Lewis Walker.

Ten minutes in and Shodipo set up Chay Tilt who forced a good save from Will Buse.

Play immediately switched to the other end following a through ball, which resulted in Ricardo Rees slotting the ball into the back of the net.

Paul Hall made two changes in the space of a couple of minutes, which saw the arrival of Joe Gubbins and Aiden Mesais, with Themis Kefalas and Ben Wells departing.

Mr Buonassisi awarded the Robins a penalty after Charlie Fox was deemed to have handled the ball. Myles Bowman saved Tom Richards’ spot kick, but Ricardo Rees made no mistake with the follow-up.

Rangers went close to a consolation goal when Chay Tilt fired just over the crossbar. But it came on 85 minutes when Aiden Mesias was brought down in the area and Olamide Shodipo’s spot kick was smartly put away.

The R’s came very close to getting a second following a great passage of play started by Joe Felix. Mickel Platt’s flicked header just evaded the near upright.

Just before the final whistle, Platt’s volley was well saved by the City keeper.

Despite the defeat, the big plus for the R’s was the performance of Olamide Shodipo. Completing 90-odd minutes, he was well up for it and took a very cool penalty.

Steve Russell