QPR U18 (3) – Rochdale U18 (2) aet.

FA Youth Cup 3rd Round

Team: Dickinson, Williams-Lowe, Woollard-Innocent, Drewe, Carlyle, Gubbins, Raymond-Callender, Remy, Babajide, Frailing, Brooks.

Sub Not Used: White

Attendance: 324

Joe Gubbins captained (not surprisingly) a completely different starting eleven to that of last Saturday, but included on the bench were a couple of subs from that game namely; Dejarhn Grant and Trent Mahorn.

The first decent chance fell to the R’s after Khaliq Raymond-Callender had got to the bye-line. His ball into the six-yard box resulted in the initial shot being blocked and the second attempt from Jake Frailing clearing the crossbar.

Rangers were enjoying a lot of possession, but were then guilty of often giving the ball away and the five-man Rochdale midfield was making it difficult.

After 12 minutes, Dale’s No. 11, Fabio Tavares, bombed down the left-wing, cut in, but his shot was hit directly at Tyla Dickinson.

The visitors took the lead on 21 minutes after Rangers had lost possession in midfield. Lewis Bradley set up Florian Yonsian who beat the offside trap and then made no mistake from close range.

Minutes later, Bradley’s 25-yard effort dipped just over the crossbar.

Just before half-time, Tyla Dickinson grabbed the ball at the second attempt following a close range header. Half-time: 0-1.

Into the second-half and Bunmi Babajide broke through, but instead of taking aim he decided to lay the ball off and the threat came to nothing.

A free kick was powerfully hit towards the far post from 25-yards where Nathan Carlyle could only knock the ball over.

Paul Furlong made a double change on 63 minutes when Khaliq Raymond-Callender and Bunmi Babajide made way for Dillon De Silva and Armelindo Mema respectively.

Five minutes later Tyla Dickinson somehow steered the ball onto the crossbar after Louis White had let fly from at least 30-yards.

Dillon De Silva was doing really well down the left-wing. His cross into the six-yard box was put over the bar.

Dejarhn Grant was introduced on 78 minutes at the expense of Kayden Williams-Lowe.

The home side produced a number of shots on target, but they lacked power and as the R’s search for an equaliser continued, three added minutes were indicated.

Rangers scored that equaliser with a minute or so to go following a scramble in front of goal. Dejarhn Grant was on hand to belt the ball into the back of the net.

Extra Time:
Adejuwon Hamzat took off from a defensive position and was then brought down thirty yards or so from the Rangers goal, which produced a yellow card for Jake Frailing.

At the other end Mema’s effort from close range may have clipped the crossbar on its way over.

Rangers were able to make a fourth substitution on 101 minutes, which saw Trent Mahorn coming on for Kai Woollard-Innocent.

It was Rochdale who took the lead on 107 minutes when their captain, James Neild, belted the ball into the back of the net following a corner.

The R’s equalised two minutes later when Grant fed Mema who made no mistake from ten yards. Cue wild celebrations, which also included Tyla Dickinson.

Any thoughts of a penalty shoot-out were dismissed in the 115th minute when Nathan Carlyle dramatically fired the ball into the top corner.

There was still time for both sides to create further opportunities, but it was the R’s battling performance that got them into the Fourth Round.

Steve Russell

Share to Facebook

Share to Twitter