QPR U18 (5) – Watford U18 (1)

Team: Cooper, Drewe, Woollard-Innocent, Orafu, Gubbins, Carlyle, Raymond-Callendar, Remy, Kendall, Frailing, Brooks

As this friendly match got underway, Rangers played a good passing game with some nice inter-play down the left-wing between Kai Woollard-Innocent and Marcus Brooks.

It was no surprise when the R’s took the lead after 16 minutes. Shiloh Remy looked up, picked his spot and the ball flew into the top corner. Cue mass celebration from the players by the corner flag.

Under pressure, Murphy Cooper rose well to clutch the ball following a Watford corner.

Minutes later the home side went 2-0 up when Marcus Brooks’ corner was met by Charley Kendall who nodded the ball superbly into the net.

QPR quickly counter-attacked after a Watford corner was cleared. Brooks fed Kendall and his powerful shot forced the Hornets keeper into making a very good save.

The Watford keeper made another excellent save after Remy had set up Kendall, with the ball ending up spinning away for a corner. Half-time: 2-0.

Into the second-half and a lovely ball out to Khaliq Raymond-Callendar, who then moved in and his shot was stopped by the Hornets keeper and the follow-up by a Rangers player was headed just over the bar.

At the other end, the R’s captain Nathan Carlyle made a superb double block in the Rangers defence.

On 52 minutes, Raymond-Callendar put over a great cross into the box. A Watford defender tried to clear the ball, but it ended up in the back of the net.

Paul Furlong brought on Kayden Williams-Lowe at the expense of Aaron Drewe.

Rangers notched up a deserved fourth goal after 60 minutes. Strong running from Nathan Orafu took him upfield and finished with a shot wide of the keeper, into the bottom corner.

Then virtually the whole Rangers side was changed. Off went; Woollard-Innocent, Orafu, Gubbins, Carlyle, Raymond-Callendar, Remy, Kendall, Frailing and Brooks.

Replacing them were; Mahorn, Kalathias, Fahmy, Pitblado, De Silva, Sokoli and three trialists.

This resulted in Watford having their best period of the match, as the new R’s contingent needed time to settle into the game.

On 65 minutes the visitors pulled a goal back, following a corner after the R’s keeper was left in no man’s land.

Then a spectacular overhead kick was directed straight into Murphy Cooper’s gloves. The Hornets went close again when a free header rattled the crossbar.

Rangers added a fifth a few minutes from the end when one of the subs broke away from the half-way line.

He kept going despite being shadowed all the way by a Watford defender and upon reaching a good position wide of the box he squared the ball to Dillon De Silva, who finished from close range.

Fitz Hall was also in attendance.

Steve Russell