Havant & Waterlooville (3) – QPR U23 (1)

Team: Brzozowski, Kakay, Fox, Wallen, Paul, Phillips, Tilt, Owens, Eshun, Rowe, Shodipo

Subs: Herdman, Cardoso, Akinola, Darbyshire

I met up with ChrisPTenner in Shepherd’s Bush and we set off for Havant Station via Clapham Junction.

Martin Percival joined us in his recommended pub situated close to West Leigh Park, ‘The Heron’.

Havant Town had merged with Waterlooville FC in June 1998 and currently the Hawks play in the National League South, which was formerly the Conference South.

Gordon Macey later confirmed that the R’s had never previously played any of these sides.

The crowd numbered around 80, and the QPR contingent totalled at least a dozen and also included Joe Gallen.

Chris was invited to go live by the commentary team seated close-by, to give the lowdown on the Rangers side to an audience, somewhere in the local area.

The home side took the lead early on after Robinson’s free kick was spilled by the Rangers custodian, which resulted in Jordan knocking the ball in the net at the back post.

The Hawks almost doubled their lead following a free kick from a position wide-left of the box and the ball was headed just wide.

Marcin Brzozowski, diving to his right, kept out a shot from the edge of the box, following some good inter-play from the home side.

At the other end, a penetrative ball allowed Shodipo to run at pace towards the Hawks’ goal, but his shot finished just wide of the post.

Another effort soon followed when the R’s No.11 put across a low ball for Danny Rowe, who turned and his shot went behind for a corner.

The home side hit the post and Rangers had a goal disallowed. Following a good move down the left, Danny Rowe hit the back of the net from close range but Mr Treleaven ruled it out. Half-time: 0-1.

Theo Lewis put the Hawks 2-0 up in the 52nd minute.

Olamide Shodipo went on a great run down the left-wing and his ball into the box was cleared off the line.

Ten minutes or so from time, Brad Tarbuck’s initial effort was kept out, but Wes Fogden was following up to tap the ball in the net.

With a few minutes remaining and the 21.40 train back to London on our mind, the R’s scored a consolation goal when Romeo Akinola squeezed the ball in from close range.

We left at that point (don’t tell Ian Holloway) and through Martin kindly dropping us off at the station, we made the train in time.

Three Rangers subs came on in the second-half; Romeo Akinola, Hugo Cardoso and Danny Darbyshire.

Steve Russell