QPR U23 (4) – Hull City U23 (1)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Lumley, Kakay, Owens, Baptiste, Hamalainen, Paul, Petrasso, Goss, Oteh, Eze, Chair

Subs: Herdman, Rowe, Phillips, Grego-Cox

The R’s got off to a productive start and within a couple of minutes, captain for the day, Eberechi Eze made his way through midfield and set-up Ilias Chair who saw his low shot flash just wide of the far post.

A superb 35-yard diagonal pass was floated over to Ilias Chair from the centre of midfield, which resulted in the effort closely evading the far post.
Charlie Andrew did well to get his fingertips to Michael Petrasso‘s shot and the ball went out for a corner.

Chris Paul was booked by Mr Skipper presumably for something he said?

Alex Baptiste was looking comfortable and he can certainly pass a ball. A good example of this was when he superbly arrowed a long ball over to Michael Petrasso.

After 31 minutes, Eze breezed his way through midfield and on past defenders who were backing off him. As he reached the edge of the box, he looked up and placed the ball in the corner of the net.

The Tigers equalised 7 minutes later when Alex Baptiste deflected the ball into the net at the near post. Half-time: 1-1.

Early in the second-half, Eze provided the champagne moment of the match. He took control of a ball which had been headed over to him and with Hull players in close proximity, he spun round, and set off at pace through midfield before releasing a great ball over to the right-wing. Wonderful!

On 63 minutes, Paul Hall introduced Reece Grego-Cox and Daniel Rowe at the expense of Aramide Oteh and Ilias Chair respectively.

Chris Paul made a superb interception in the box. Perfectly timing his challenge, he slid in and whilst grounded turned the ball away safely from danger.

Hull were enjoying a much better spell, but it was the R’s who scored next. On 71 minutes, Niko Hamalainen went on a surging run down the left-wing, resulting in Reece Grego-Cox’s excellent cross for Eze to finish.

On 74 minutes, Chris Paul was replaced by Giles Phillips.

The visitors had a good opportunity to score an equaliser. Joe Lumley tipped the ball onto the post and the follow-up shot was screwed just wide of the far post.

Rangers got their noses further in front with around 13 minutes to go. Sean Goss side-footed the ball in the net from close range but it was ruled offside. However, it was eventually given and the R’s were 3-1 up.

There was still time for Eze to complete his hat-trick. Reece Grego-Cox received a head-high challenge in the box and not surprisingly, Mr Skipper pointed to the spot. Eze stepped up and calmly slotted the ball in the net.

MOM has to be Eberechi Eze. Well done to him.

Marcus Bean and Richard Langley were in attendance as was Ian Holloway. I have to say that Ollie was bang out of order, as he bellowed out non-stop instructions to the players from his vantage point opposite the bench!!!

Steve Russell