QPR U18 (4) – Yeovil Town U18 (0)

Team: 1st half – White (Bowman), not known, Kaiser, not known, Genovesi, Messais, Dauti, Remy, Francis-Adeyinka (trialist), Kendal, not known (Miller)

Team: 2nd half – Bowman (Dickinson), Disubi, Orafu, Noel-McCloud, Woodward-Innocent, Kirwasina, Robeiro, Bettache, Lucas (trialist), Platt, Miller (Bansal-McNulty)

I bumped into Keith Davies at Acton Town Station and we went on to Hounslow East Station to meet up with Alan Barnes.

This pre-season friendly kicked off late as we awaited the arrival of the match officials.

The first real chance of the game fell to the visitors after a well-timed interception in midfield set up an effort on goal. The ball flew just wide after taking a slight deflection with the R’s keeper rooted to the spot.

Yeovil had started the better side in a fast and furious encounter. The second linesman arrived and with that the Rangers side picked up their game.

Around the half-hour mark, the R’s threatened for the first time. A good ball from the bye-line across the box unfortunately evaded everyone.

Whilst at the other end a free header from within the six-yard box somehow cleared the crossbar!

Following a corner, a QPR player sprung up to meet the ball, but his header was directed straight into the keeper’s gloves. Rangers’ next effort saw the ball curl past the far post.

Myles Bowman replaced Harry White in goal and another sub took up position on the right-wing.

The Glovers almost took the lead but for the alertness of the R’s keeper who jumped up and managed to knock the spinning ball onto the crossbar.

After a good move down the left, the Yeovil player cut in and teed up a team mate in the box, which forced Bowman into a superb save.

Half-time: 0-0 and the rain picked up again. However it has to be said it was nothing like the earlier downpour.

Rangers started the 2nd half much more assertive and within minutes a shot was fired just wide of the upright.

Mikel Platt put the R’s into a deserved lead with a sharp finish, whilst Tyla Dickinson became the third R’s keeper of the afternoon when he came on to replace Myles Bowman.

A great ball in from the right flank, and with two R’s players running in, the Yeovil defender did superbly well when he crouched down, got the ball under control and cleared it to safety.

I think it was Amrit Bensal-McNulty who forced a good save from the Yeovil keeper when facing him one-on-one.

A Yeovil player was rightly booked for a pull back in midfield on an R’s player as he was attempting to quickly move the ball forward.

Nathaniel Orafu doubled the Rangers lead in the closing stages and a third goal followed 90 seconds or so later when the ball was swung over to the far post with Leandro Ribeiro lurking in space. The Yeovil keeper did thrust out his arm, but the ball squeezed past him.

The R’s scored a fourth in the 89th minute and what an outstanding ‘team’ goal it was! Some good movement, coupled with a series of quick touches, resulted in a well-executed finish from Bensal-McNulty.

A wonderful goal, which would grace any level of football!

With no team sheets available, my apologies for any misspelling of any of the players’ names.

The previous Saturday, Alan, Roger and myself had witnessed a 7-0 victory for the U18’s at Harlington over a Cranford College Academy side.

Steve Russell

One thought on “QPR U18 (4) – Yeovil Town U18 (0)

  1. That fourth goal was brilliant. Must’ve been about 5-6 passes in the box including 2 one-twos before Amrit Bansal-McNulty passed the ball into the net. If we thought that was good, Amrits goal at Bovingdon yesterday was even better. He must’ve beat 5 or 6 players, including Marc Birchams brother Lee whose desperate attempts to push him wide of the target were in vain. After the game, even Lee praised Amrit as did quite a few locals. Watch this space.

Comments are closed.