QPR U18 (1) – Tottenham Hotspur U18 (4)

FA Youth Cup 4th Round

QPR: Brzozowski, Barzey (Springer-Downes), Genovesi, Klass (Platt), Eales, Fox, Francis-Adeyinka, Folkes, Eshun (Mesias), Akinola, Bowler

Subs Not Used: Bowman, Ribeiro

Attendance: 647

It was very unusual to see fan segregation at a youth match at Loftus Road. The stewards had been saying before the game that they were expecting a large contingent of Tottenham fans, but this didn’t materialise.

Kenny Jackett, Jamie Mackie, Lee Cook, Marc Bircham, Curtis Fleming and Graham Stuart were amongst those sitting to our left.

Tottenham started strongly and their first effort came from a corner when Japhet Tanganga’s header was fortunately aimed directly at Marcin Brzozowski. Then Reo Griffiths shot just wide of the post.

A goal looked inevitable and the visitors were particularly dangerous down the right flank, which continued to be a feature of the game. Following one of these moves, the ball was crossed from the bye-line into the box and the R’s custodian then made a very good save.

Not surprisingly Tottenham took the lead after 24 minutes. Romeo Akinola lost possession in midfield, which resulted in Jack Roles slotting the ball into the back of the net. There had appeared to be an infringement on the edge of the box leading to the goal. Marcin Brzozowski certainly thought so and remonstrated with Mr Wood.

The Lilywhites scored a second in the 37th minute. An overlap on the right flank saw Shashoua play the ball to Sterling who then crossed for Griffiths to finish from close range.

Just before the 2 minutes added time was signalled, Rangers managed to pull a goal back. A. J. Folkes’s through ball set up Kingsley Eshun who made no mistake.

Marcin Brzozowski made another superb save during the added time period. Half-time: 1-2.

Tottenham added a third in under-20 seconds of the re-start. A couple of defensive mistakes allowed Shashoua to put in a cross to set up Roles, who had the simple task of finishing from close range.

Rangers created a good opportunity following a free kick, which saw the ball flashing past the far post.

Paul Furlong made a double change on the hour mark when he introduced Mickel Platt and Aiden Mesias at the expense of Michael Klass and Kingsley Eshun respectively.

Josh Bowler received a blatant slap/arm in the face in view of the referee and as the R’s No.11 lay on the floor, Mr Wood allowed play to continue!!! And it didn’t end there, as there was a similar incident later in the game!!!

The visitors scored a fourth goal after 73 minutes. George Marsh made no mistake with his close range header after he had capitalised on some hesitation in the six-yard box.

Five minutes or so later, Brandon Barzey was replaced by Rhys Springer-Downes.

The referee blew his final whistle after three added minutes.

Thanks to Joe English for the lift home.

Steve Russell

One thought on “QPR U18 (1) – Tottenham Hotspur U18 (4)

  1. If there were only 647 spectators there then I’m a chinaman. Must’ve been at least double that amount as all the players gave out wads of tickets to their friends and family. As for the large Spurs contingent expected, they must’ve had about 250-300 in their allocated section of the SAR stand. I would say that was a large contingent for a youth team game.

    Segregation at a youth game is a new one on me but WHO decided to put Spurs in the section nearer to the Loft End while we sat nearer to the School End??!!!

Comments are closed.