QPR U23 (3) – Coventry City U23 (2)

U23 Professional Development League
Team: Dieng, Kakay, Williams, Paul, Arthur, Finney, Prohouly, Manning, Darbyshire (Akinola), Eze, Bowler
Subs Not Used: Herdman, Klass, Barzey

Prior to kick-off we all observed a minute’s silence in memory of the fallen and the word was that Ian Holloway had been at the club all day.

Alex Finney had played a few games recently and as far as I know he’s still on trial so I was surprised to see that he was wearing the captain’s armband.

Rangers had the ball in the net following a good move initiated by Josh Bowler down the left wing, but it was ruled offside.

Coventry were awarded a free kick outside the box after a City player had dramatically dived prior to the incoming challenge. Nothing came from it as the ball was floated just over the bar.

Jordan Ponticelli put the Sky Blues into the lead after 13 minutes following a corner.

They almost doubled their lead when, following a ball into the box, the resulting low drive came off the far post.

City did score a second after 22 minutes when Kyle Spence slotted home after their first effort had been palmed out by Tim Seny Dieng.

However, Rangers pulled a goal back two minutes later when Eze received a pass in the box. He then knocked the ball from his left foot to his right and finished it off with a shot wide of Corey Addai.

At the other end, the QPR custodian tipped a powerful shot over the frame of the goal for a corner.

Alex Finney was constantly vocal, Chris Paul was booked and Axel Prohouly switched to the left wing.

There was a long delay immediately before the interval when Danny Darbyshire went down heavily in the box, close to the bye-line, in his attempt to round the City keeper. Addai, realising that the R’s No. 9 was in some distress, kicked the ball out for a throw-in as technically it was still in play.

Looking like a nasty shoulder injury, Danny Darbyshire was eventually led towards the dressing room, whilst receiving intermittent gulps of oxygen. Romeo Akinola later replaced him. Half-time: 1-2.

Prohouly lifted the ball and as it headed goal-bound, the 6ft 6ins Coventry keeper plucked it out of the air with ease. Then an unmarked Alex Finney headed into Corey Addai’s gloves.

The Rangers keeper managed to deflect a dangerous shot out for a corner.

A cross into the box from a corner found Alex Finney, again in space, but the ball came off his head and cleared the bar.

The home side had another good opportunity wasted at the far post, resulting in the ball being cleared after coming off a Rangers player’s back.

Ryan Manning was having a very good second-half and, after winning a challenge in midfield, Eze set up Prohouly who directed his shot through the keeper’s legs. The equaliser after 66 minutes was well deserved, as the home side had been dominant after the break.

Josh Bowler had constantly been fouled throughout the match and even when he moved over to the other flank he received similar treatment! The latest heavy challenge left him in need of some attention.

A superb passing-move set up Eberechi Eze, who then shot just wide of the far post. He made no mistake after 85 minutes when his strike on the half-volley hit the back of the net following a corner.

Seny Dieng, whilst at full stretch, did well to hold on to the ball and shortly after Mr Venamore blew the final whistle.

The visitors had come into this game on an eight-match unbeaten run, and as for the R’s, this was Paul Hall’s first victory since 5th September.

Steve Russell