QPR U23 (1) – Millwall U23 (5)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Ingram, Kakay, Arthur, Finney, Robinson (Williams), Paul, Sandro, El Khayati, Shodipo, Eze, Darbyshire (Prohouly)

Subs Not Used: Herdman, Manning

Paul Hall once again included the trialist centre-back Alex Finney in his starting line-up. Twenty-year-old Finney left Bolton Wanderers by mutual consent back in August after making a couple of 1st team appearances.

Rangers went close in under a minute when Olamide Shodipo headed El Khayati’s ball from the right wing against the crossbar.

Then following a very good move down the right flank, El Khayati picked out Danny Darbyshire in the box and his low shot flew just wide of the post.

A minute or so later, and following a good passing move, Danny Darbyshire set up Eberechi Eze and his shot from the edge of the box clipped the side of the far post.

Jack Robinson had been appointed captain and it was good to see him get some more game time under his belt.

Receiving the ball in a wide position, Robinson cut in and smashed the ball, which forced Tom King into making a superb save.

Despite Rangers having the best of it in the early stages, it was the visitors who took the lead after 18 minutes. Millwall full-back Noah Chesmain went on a good run down the left wing and his low drive from the edge of the box looked as if it had passed by the post.

So Mr Fisssenden awarded a goal kick but surprisingly, two Millwall players appealed for a goal and eventually he accepted that the ball must have gone through a hole in the net.

Matt Ingram advanced to narrow the angle after a Millwall player had burst through on goal and the ball ended up going out for a corner. The R’s custodian then made an excellent stop from close range when he dived to his left to stop the ball with his body.

It was no surprise when the Lions doubled their lead. Poor defending allowed Kris Twardek to pick his spot from 12 yards.

Rangers pulled a goal back around the half-hour mark after Olamide Shodipo was fouled in the box and he made no mistake with his well-taken spot kick.

The visitors scored a third after 38 minutes when Greg Wylde’s cross was nodded in from close range. Sandro was booked after 41 minutes for a late challenge on Harry Donovan.

Millwall really should have added a fourth goal, but despite some poor defending the goal-bound effort was blocked.

Just before half-time Donovan, presumably looking for some retribution, fouled Sandro and the Brazilian grabbed the culprit by the throat. A bit of a flare-up then developed which saw Sandro receiving a straight red and Mr Fissenden also booked Jack Robinson and two Millwall players. Half-time: 1-3.

Jack Williams started the second-half in place of Jack Robinson. Neil Harris looked on and for some reason Danny Darbyshire was now wearing the number 25 shirt?

Millwall had another good opportunity to go further ahead following a cross from the right wing, but the Lions player headed the ball direct at Matt Ingram.

Rangers could well have scored a second goal after a low cross in from the left flank just evaded Danny Darbyshire’s outstretched leg.

The visitors scored a fourth after 58 minutes following a corner. The ball seemed to come off the top of the head of their substitute, Christian Mbulu, before hitting the back of the net.

Then a long ball to an unmarked Millwall player prompted Matt Ingram to meet the danger and he did very well to stop the shot with his body.

Eberechi Eze’s free kick from 25 yards clipped the top of the crossbar. Eze was playing deep, leaving Danny Darbyshire as the lone striker. After 64 minutes Darbyshire was taken off and for some reason Axel Prohouly played up front?

However, three minutes later, Prohouly lobbed the Millwall keeper but the ball landed just wide of the post.

Nasser El Khayati switched wings again and Rangers fashioned a couple of close efforts. At the other end, Matt Ingram saved well from Sean Hutchinson’s header.

Five minutes from time, Alfie Pavey spun inside the box and unleashed a powerful shot into the corner of the net.

The Monday Afternoon Crew also included Keith Davies, Ray Marno, ChrisPTenner, Roger Stokes and Sammy.

Steve Russell