It was sad to hear the news of the passing of our one-time left-winger of the 1960’s, George McLeod.
Originally from Scottish Highlands football, George moved south in the 1950’s to provide decent service for English clubs; Luton Town, Brentford and QPR.
The bulk of his playing days were spent at Brentford (1958 – January 1964) where he played 207 games for the Bees and scored 20 goals. He certainly was a crowd favourite at Griffin Park.
At the tail-end of his career he signed for the R’s from Brentford in a part-exchange deal which saw Mark Lazarus move in the opposite direction.
It was George’s slight misfortune that he joined Rangers during an era in which on-field success was at a premium to say the least. Nevertheless when I saw him play he always gave his utmost and his strong runs down the left-wing were a trademark of his game.
During his spell with us he made 42 first team appearances and scored four goals.
George departed from Loftus Road in 1965 for South Africa and did not feature again for any English pro-league club.
George McLeod. Rest in Peace.
His first club was Brora Rangers and he then went on to join the Highland League side, Clachnacuddin. In 1955, George signed for Luton Town.
Then in October 1958, George was transferred to Brentford for a fee of ¬£6,000, where he went on to make over 200 appearances.
Alec Stock signed him in January 1964 in a part-exchange deal, which involved Mark Lazarus going to Griffin Park.
He made his debut later that month in the home game against Southend United on 11th January. By the end of the following season, George had made 42 appearances for the R’s and scored four goals.
George moved to South Africa and finished his playing career with Port Elizabeth City.
The Northern Times reported in its obituary that George had later retired in Luton and that his ashes were scattered into the River Brora.
Rest in Peace.