QPR U23 (1) – Sheffield United U23 (4)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Lumley, Barzey, Williams, Manning (Bowler), Arthur, Frost (Fox), Prohouly (Alfa), Folkes, Adams, Eze, Darbyshire

Sub Not Used: Dieng

The first chance of the afternoon fell to the visitors inside 5 minutes when Caolan Lavery spun in the box and forced Joe Lumley down to smother the ball.

The R’s custodian then stood his ground and clutched the ball following a corner, despite the attempt to knock him off balance.

A. J. Folkes’ superb pass found Danny Darbyshire on the left flank. He then cut inside and curled his shot towards the far post, but Aaron Ramsdale managed to push it away.

The Blades took the lead when R’s trialist Harry Frost, appeared to nudge Caolan Lavery from behind. Mr Fissenden pointed to the spot, Frost was booked and Lavery then sent Joe Lumley the wrong way.

Two minutes later the visitors doubled their lead from a corner. Ben Whiteman headed home the deep cross.

I had no idea why Brandon Barzey was booked. It must have been for something he said? After he was shown a yellow card, Mr Fissenden still allowed the R’s to take their throw-in.

Rangers had lost their way by this stage of the match. Wastefully pumping long wayward passes upfield.

However, Brandon Adams chested one long ball superbly and forced the United defender into conceding a corner. Eberechi Eze swung over the corner and the six-foot-something Harry Frost then just missed making contact by a whisker.

With the ball bobbing around the box, Joe Lumley made an outstanding save from close range. Half-time: 0-2.

Whilst the Sheffield United players trouped off to the dressing room, Paul Hall conducted his team-talk in front of the dugout.

QPR had a couple of chances in the early stages of the second-half and then after 52 minutes Josh Bowler replaced Ryan Manning.

A United player was booked after Eberechi Eze was attempting a run through midfield and was cynically pulled back.

Rangers had picked up their game and were enjoying more possession. A. J. Folkes got into a good position and fired just over the crossbar.

Joe Lumley provided a wonderful moment when it looked as if the ball had been taken past him, but he went down on one leg and snatched the ball one handed!

Charlie Fox was introduced on 74 minutes at the expense of Harry Frost and ten minutes earlier Ody Alfa had come on for Axel Prohouly.

Around 20 minutes from time, the Blades increased their lead when David Brooks fired home. There had been strong appeals for handball just prior to the goal but Mr Fissenden wasn’t interested.

At one stage two R’s players, Brandon Barzey and Jack Williams, were down in close proximity and in need of some attention. Eventually both physios scampered onto the pitch.

A defensive error after 80 minutes was instrumental in the visitors scoring a fourth goal.

QPR did pull a goal back a minute later when Alfa squared the ball to Eze who made no mistake finishing. Soon after, the R’s goalscorer got into a good position but aimed his shot straight at the United keeper.

Brandon Adams got into the box and was clearly pushed from behind but nothing was given! Then at the other end, Joe Lumley made an excellent save from close range to deny the visitors.

As the rain became heavier, two further Blades players were booked in the latter stages of the match.

The Harlington Crew also included Roger Stokes, Ray Marno and Sammy.

Surprisingly, for their next game the U23’s travel to Huddersfield on Sunday.

Steve Russell