QPR U23 (3) – Crewe Alexandra U23 (3)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Brzozowski, Akinola, Hamalainen, Comley, Arthur, Kpekawa, Prohouly, Manning, Darbyshire, Eze, Adams

On a hot, humid and overcast afternoon, the Harlington Crew also included; Clive Kingham, ChrisPTenner, Ray Marno (who had travelled up from Eastbourne), Roger Stokes and Sammy.

Brandon Comley put a good ball into the box from the left to Danny Darbyshire, which led to Axel Prohouly scuffing his shot wide.

At the other end, the Railwaymen looked to open the scoring but a superb block and tackle denied the visitors.

After last Saturday, it was good to see a Rangers side play the ball from the back, through midfield, and create a number of chances.

A ball knocked over from the left-wing found his unmarked Crewe team mate, who then shot straight at Marcin Brzozowski.

A superb passage of play commenced when Cole Kpekawa made an impressive interception in midfield, which was followed by Axel Prohouly feeding a great ball through to Danny Darbyshire, whose effort was struck low, forcing the Alex custodian down to gather.

Rangers had edged the first-half, but found themselves 1-0 down after 38 minutes when a good ball was played to Daniel Udah who slotted home.

The R’s responded when Danny Darbyshire had the ball in the net, but it was ruled offside. Half-time: 0-1.

After the break, Paul Hall brought on Brandon Barzey at the expense of Brandon Comley.

Into the second-half and Axel Prohouly played in the impressive Barzey, who was then fouled on the edge of the box. Ryan Manning’s free kick came off the wall and out for a corner.

Darbyshire got a well-deserved equaliser for the R’s after 54 minutes. Ryan Manning won a 50/50 challenge in midfield, turned and then put a superb ball through to the Rangers No.9 to finish.

Just after the hour mark, a clumsy challenge on Eberechi Eze in the box and Brandon Adams stepped up to blast the ball high into the net.

The final two R’s changes were made, which saw the introduction from the bench of Jack Williams and Michael Klass.

A powerful shot from Romeo Akinola flew just wide and later Jack Williams was shown a yellow card by Mr Howard.

The visitors were coming back into the game again and another goal looked highly likely. That equaliser came after 74 minutes when our defence was pulled apart. Owen Dale collected the ball on the left and proceeded to pick his spot with ease.

Two minutes later QPR took the lead again, when Michael Klass cut in from the right and the Crewe defender ran into him as he entered the box. This time it was Danny Darbyshire who stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way.

The sixth goal of the afternoon came in the 85th minute following a ball in from the right which was hit first time, forcing Brzozowski into an outstanding stop from close range, but was then unlucky when the ball appeared to ricochet back into the net courtesy of Lewis Reilly.

The U23’s next game will be at Loftus Road on Friday against Ipswich Town.

Steve Russell