Hendon (4) – QPR U21 (5)

Team: Hudnott, Wilson, Williams, Anastasiou, Arthur, Hamalainen, Crichlow, Clarke, Adams, Darbyshire, Prohouly

Attendance: 423

The pre-season friendlies were now coming thick and fast. This was my first visit to Silver Jubilee Park, and was just two days after the trip to Kings Langley on Saturday.

Hendon had recently moved into the former home of Kingsbury Town having been in a position to share with Edgware Town after spending the previous three seasons at Harrow Borough. Before the game, former R’s fan and now a Hendon Director, David Bedford OBE, officially opened the club’s ¬£230,000 stadium improvements.

The R’s first goal was even quicker than our opener on Saturday when Brandon Adams had the ball in the net after just 9 seconds!

It was Niko Hamalainen who doubled the Rangers lead after 20 minutes with a belter from 25-yards.

Hendon pulled a goal back a minute or so later when Muir hit a ball on the half-volley from the centre of the box following a cross from the right.

The home side continued to create a number of very good opportunities. A dangerous ball into the box was eventually cleared but it really should have been put away. Then a good cross into the box resulted in the Hendon player turning on a sixpence and the ball flashing past the post.

Another cross from the right flank was placed on target but the ball came back out again after hitting another Hendon player close to the goal line!

It was no surprise when the equaliser came. Spencer McCall curled the ball spectacularly from a distance approaching around 30 yards!

As half-time approached, Hendon were still looking for another goal. It almost came following a superb move down the left. The ball was fed to the edge of the box and the subsequent shot was blocked.

From a run down the left, the Hendon No.10 overlapped well and then headed towards goal but could only manage to shoot wide. Half-time: 2-2.
hfcAfter the break Paul Hall introduced Reece Grego-Cox and Ebere Eze at the expense of Axel Prohouly and Ruudi Clarke respectively.

Rangers were back in the lead after two minutes following a dangerous ball into the box, which was partially saved but Grego-Cox was on hand to finish from close range.

A couple of minutes later the visitors went further ahead. Michael Anastasiou sent a long ball to Brandon Adams and after some neat control he slotted home his second goal of the evening. Rangers then had the ball in the net again but it was ruled out for offside.

Four changes were made on 65 minutes, which saw Comley. Brzozowski, Kakay and Paul replace Wilson, Hudnott, Arthur and Anastasiou.

Hendon made it 4-3 when a corner was put away by Vassell from close range.

Then on 76 minutes, Rangers got their fifth when Brandon Adams cut the ball back for Danny Darbyshire to pick his spot and provide a great finish.

The R’s almost got a sixth goal when Adams rose to head a cross from the left just over the bar.

Andre Da Costa fired home a free kick after 83 minutes to make it 5-4 and then later they almost snatched a dramatic equaliser in the very last minute but the ball came off the post.

Thanks to Joe English for the lift.

Steve Russell