FA Cup 2nd Round – 5th December 1964: QPR (3) – Peterborough United (3)

Team: Smith, Hazell, Angell, Malcolm, Brady (R)), Keen, Morgan (I), Collins, Bedford, Leary, Morgan (R)

Attendance: 6,502

Rangers had previously defeated non-league Bath City 2-0 and then received another home tie in Round Two. Peterborough had thrashed the R’s 6-1 in the league encounter the week before. Dennis Signy wrote the following match report:

‘Peterborough manager Gordon Clark, who blamed his team for complacency in squandering a 3-1 lead in this rip-roaring Cup tie, goes to his ground this morning to sort out injury problems for Wednesday’s replay.

Four forwards, Derek Dougan, Peter Deakin, Peter McNamee and Olly Conmy, and left-back Graham Birks report for treatment to an assortment of knocks.

Rangers’ hero in the gloom that was Loftus Road was Eire international Ray Brady. He blotted out the menace of Dougan – and he scored the goal that sparked Rangers’ belated but exciting revival.

There were 10 minutes to go when Brady moved up for an Ian Morgan corner-kick and rocket-headed a perfect goal past Nigel Sims – the first he has ever scored for Rangers.

Three thrilling minutes later Rangers were level. Again it was an Ian Morgan corner-kick this time pushed back into the middle by twin brother Roger and the scorer was always-on-the-spot Brian Bedford.
fa cup 1964Peterborough took a ninth-minute lead when McNamee’s free kick was punched out by goalkeeper Frank Smith to Ronnie Barnes. The winger, a one-time Stanley Matthews understudy at Blackpool, placed his header perfectly and the ball dropped over Brady standing on the goal-line.

A harsh-looking penalty decision gave Rangers an equaliser five minutes later. Referee George Grundy ruled hand-ball against Birks and brushed aside Peterborough protests that the mark of the ball was on the left-backs shirt. Mike Keen scored from the spot.

A second penalty award by Mr Grundy eight minutes from half-time restored Peterborough’s lead. Andy Malcolm, back in Rangers’ side for the first time since an eye injury two months ago, tripped Deakin who hit home the penalty himself.

Barnes, a potential match winner for Posh, but unaccountably neglected by his team mates, pulled the ball back for Peterborough’s 70th minute third goal scored by McNamee.’

Alec Stock said after the game that, “it was one hell of a Cup-tie”. It was also reported that ‘the referee asked for increased police vigilance in the second-half after a spectator had vaulted the barrier and tried to snatch the ball from Crowe.’

It was stated in the programme ‘Club Notes by ‘Ranger’, that long-serving Albert Hittinger had retired from the Board. And who was the person who replaced him? Jim Gregory, who said: “This is something I have always wanted ever since I took a keen interest in Rangers. I am looking forward to helping the other directors put Rangers back on the map, especially with the possibility of moving to White City.”

It was recorded in the ‘Quick Pars on Rangers’ section that Chief Scout Charlie Faulkner had added a certain Tony Currie from Hendon to the junior staff!

Steve Russell

(My thanks to Bradleyog for the above (and many others) match report)


One thought on “FA Cup 2nd Round – 5th December 1964: QPR (3) – Peterborough United (3)

  1. Well done to Steve R and Bradleyog for this article.

    This was the season when R’s played their league home games on a Friday night. However as this was an FA Cup encounter this fixture had to be played on a Saturday.

    I was not at this match because a lot of that 64/65 season on Saturday afternoons I was playing football for Sulgrave Boys Club juniors.

    Peterboro’ after defeating us in the replay did subsequently progress to the sixth round where they lost 5-1 at Stamford Bridge to Chelsea in front of 60,000 spectators and Ahem I admit I was one of them but don’t tell anyone! Chelsea went on to lose to Liverpool in the Semi Final

Comments are closed.