Cardiff City (0) – QPR (0)

Team: Ingram, Onuoha, Hall, Hill, Konchesky, Luongo, Faurlin, Henry, Chery (El Khayati), Phillips (Washington), Polter (Gladwin)

Subs Not Used: Lumley, Kpekawa, Petrasso, Hoilett

Attendance: 27,874 (including 840 R’s fans)

Cardiff City’s Championship play-off hopes took a big hit as they failed to beat QPR at the Cardiff City Stadium.

A poor first-half saw both sides fail to register a shot on target, but both might have snatched the points in an entertaining second period. Sammy Ameobi shot over in injury time as Cardiff sensed a dramatic winner.

The Bluebirds remain seventh, five points behind Sheffield Wednesday who were held by Ipswich, while QPR remain 11th.

The first-half was especially tense, with Cardiff failing to carve out a single clear-cut opportunity against a dogged and reserved QPR, managed by former Cardiff player Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Anthony Pilkington was the man most likely for Russell Slade’s men, his turn and shot on ten minutes from Sean Morrison’s knock-down was brilliantly blocked, before Grant Hall denied him 20 minutes later with a similarly brave effort.

Matt Phillips provided the best outlet for the visitors, but save for one tame effort easily held by David Marshall in the City goal, they did not really threaten.

The hosts needed to produce more after the interval and started brightly. Scott Malone’s tempting cross was met by Pilkington but he could only head into the side-netting with the angle against him.

However, the visitors were also showing more attacking intent and the dangerous Matt Phillips forced Marshall to save with a fiercely struck effort from 20-yards.

Tjaronn Chery had the next chance for the Londoners, but he was also denied by Marshall.

The Bluebirds sent on Sammy Ameobi and switched to an attacking 4-3-3 system in search of the all-important breakthrough, but it was the forehead of Morrison that almost gave them their moment.

He met Peter Whittingham’s corner and the ball seemed destined for the net, but Matt Ingram made a stunning stop to keep Cardiff at bay.

Russell Slade’s men continued to apply pressure, with Craig Noone curling inches over the crossbar with around 15 minutes of normal time remaining.

They pushed further and further forward, with Marshall once again doing well as he denied Massimo Luongo’s breakaway effort with Cardiff desperately pushing on in search of a winner.

Joe Ralls burst through with only a minute remaining but saw his penalty shout turned down before Ameobi blazed over the crossbar when a cooler head was needed.

QPR manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink told BBC Radio London: “I think it’s a fair result. If we come here earlier in the season, he (Cardiff manager Russell Slade) would probably not put as many players forward.”

“Then I would say he would be happy with a 0-0. They’re chasing the play-offs, so it’s a little bit different for him. I’m looking at the performance and I’m happy with the performance.”

“Yes, I would like to penetrate a little bit more and work the goalkeeper, but the performance was very good.”

BBC Sport