QPR Ladies (1) – C&K Basildon Ladies (0)

FA Women’s Premier League (Southern Section)

Team: Caldwell, Denny, Odeniyi, Dempster, Maggs, Layton, Puddefoot (Rackham), Wilson, Fogarty (Lopes), Whitter (Albert)

Sub Not Used: Andersson

The QPR Ladies had recorded a 2-1 win at Lewes the previous Sunday. Today’s visitors at Honeycroft were sitting in 7th place and six points ahead of the Rangers.

Five minutes into the game the referee deemed that the Rangers keeper’s kit clashed with the visitors. As Victoria Caldwell’s changed her shirt and shorts, some team mates then formed a circle in order to help her maintain some dignity.

The first real effort of the match fell to the visitors who proceeded to knock the ball well over the crossbar.

Some poor refereeing came after a QPR player was taken down by the Basildon custodian, and as the ball ran out the away side were awarded a goal kick!

Rangers took the lead after 19 minutes through leading goalscorer Jo Wilson with her 12th goal of the season. It came following a great through ball, which enabled her to run at pace and then cleanly strike the ball right-footed into the roof of the net.

At the other end, a Basildon player skipped past a Rangers defender and her shot, close to the bye-line, was well saved by Victoria Caldwell, and the ball was then cleared.

The visitors had another good effort when the ball was toe-poked straight at Caldwell, so powerfully that she had to tip it over the bar for a corner.

Half-time: 1-0.


Victoria Caldwell changed her socks during the break to complete her kit colour co-ordination.

The R’s had most of the possession in the early stages, but didn’t really create many good chances. But later, Sophie Fogarty’s free kick was pushed in to the foot of the post.

Basildon could well have equalised from a one-on-one situation, but the shot was hit straight at the R’s keeper with little power.

With around 15 minutes remaining, I think it was Jo Wilson who hooked the ball from the right-side of the box which ended up just wide of the target. The Basildon keeper then saved Sophie Fogarty’s keen shot from close range with her legs, but she really should have buried it.

A change was made when a defender, Sophie Rackham was swapped for a striker, Danielle Puddefoot, whilst seven minutes earlier Cherrelle Albert was introduced at the expense of Emma Whitter.

Jo Wilson looking offside, hesitated, but then continued route-one and her scuffed shot hit the post.

Sophie Fogarty was the victim of a bad challenge near the end, and the referee initially waved play on, but it was obvious that she was in some distress. After receiving some treatment, she eventually had to be lifted off to the dressing room and was replaced by Micaela Lopes.

A welcome three points and in two weeks the team travel to Plymouth for the re-arranged league fixture.

Steve Russell