QPR U18 (6) – Barnsley U18 (4)

Team: Todd, Eales (Springer-Downes), Williams, Akinola, Arthur, Fox, Bolkiah, Klass, Darbyshire (Alfa), Crichlow, Bowler

Sub Not Used: Gaster

When I arrived at Harlington just ahead of the 11.30am kick-off, the U15’s match against Arsenal was underway on the adjacent pitch.

The U18’s had lost their previous game 9-2 at Leeds United whilst the Tykes had obtained a 2-2 draw with Bristol City.

QPR opened the scoring after 15 minutes when Gianni Crichlow’s free kick was swung in from the right flank and was met by Jeremy Arthur with a powerful close range header.

Josh Bowler cut in from the right and his shot forced Aaron Murphy to knock the ball over the bar. The R’s second goal quickly followed from a corner when Dan Darbyshire’s header found the net despite the Barnsley keeper getting a hand to the ball.

Midway through the half, Gianni Crichlow rounded the Tykes custodian to slot home Rangers’ third. As the R’s sought to increase their lead, the lively Josh Bowler moved in from the wing and fired just wide of the post.

Barnsley managed to pull a goal back after 34 minutes when their No.10 drilled the ball into the corner. However, Rangers did score a fourth around a minute later when Gianni Crichlow’s well executed cross, picked out a well placed Michael Klass in the 6-yard box to head home.

The visitors reduced the deficit following a free kick, which was put away at the far post. Faiq Bolkiah went on a superb run upfield from a deep defensive position to lay the ball off but unfortunately it came to nothing. Half-time: 4-2.

The final score in the U15’s match finished 2-0 to the visitors and the other interval news was that Dan Darbyshire must have picked up an injury in the closing stages of the half and was replaced by Ody Alfa.

Lewis Todd made a very good close-range save after the re-start to deny the visitors closing the gap. Minutes later, Michael Klass swept into the box and his initial effort was conveniently palmed back to him which he finished off to make it 5-2.

Gianni Crichlow was booked after he had momentarily left the field, and was one of five R’s players (and two from Barnsley) to be yellow carded by Mr Briggs when there wasn’t really a bad tackle in the whole game!

Michael Klass pulled the trigger from the edge of the box, which Aaron Murphy finger-tipped over the bar for a corner. Romeo Akinola was bundled over in the area but Mr Briggs wasn’t interested.

Jack Williams was booked for a shirt tug despite many others getting away with far worse. The free kick from the right-wing was headed in by Sam Ottley despite Lewis Todd getting a hand to the ball.

Another booking was seemingly awarded because a free kick was taken too early? Defender Sam Ottley scored his second when he scrambled the ball into the net to make the score 5-4.

Lewis Todd was the fifth R’s player to be booked and the referee went on to lecture him after the offence (whatever that was?)

With around 3 minutes remaining, Josh Bowler was tripped in the box. Gianni Crichlow stepped up to score number six for the R’s.

A second Barnsley player was booked (the seventh of the match) for pulling back an opponent. Final score: 6-4.

Steve Russell