QPR U18 (1) – Brentford U18 (0)

U18 Professional Development League 2

Team: Gogic, Arthur, Kakay, Williams, Garnett, Matthews, Komodikis, O’Sullivan, Mitford, Corkery, Darbyshire.

Subs: Adams, Todd, Donnellan, Crichlow, Springer-Downes.

Following the disappointing home defeat to Charlton Athletic, Paul Furlong’s side then bounced back with a superb 1-0 win at Sheffield Wednesday. Tyrell Mitford’s 2nd half goal was enough to give his U18’s team their first win of the season.

George Butler was nursing an injury, Reece Grego-Cox was on international duty and Aleksander Gogic made his debut in goal.

On an overcast, humid morning with intermittent spots of rain, the match got off to a lively start and debutant Aleksander Gogic made a very good stop after the Brentford player had ran through unchallenged. At the other end, Nathan Corkery’s powerful shot was saved by the Bees custodian.

Following a defensive error, the visitors really should have taken the lead, but the chance was lost and the ball ended up well over the bar. Then, a spectacular overhead kick was directed straight at Gogic who was able to make a comfortable save. Rangers went close when Callum O’Sullivan’s free kick from 25 yards just cleared the post. Half-time: 0-0.

O’Sullivan headed over the bar following a corner and the R’s were now producing some superb passing movements. The goal was coming and it eventually came in the 64th minute after an awful lunge just outside the box. The Bees player was booked and the free kick found Addison Garnett in the box who rose to powerfully head the ball into the back of the net which provoked wild celebrations with his team mates.

An equaliser then looked on the cards, but the Bees player hesitated and after firing in his shot, O’Sullivan turned his back which resulted in him seemingly twisting his foot. After hobbling around in some discomfort, he went down requiring some attention.

Paul Furlong brought on Leo Donnellan at the expense of Trey Williams. There was some delay as the game was held up after a Bees player had gone down awkwardly.

Following another excellent move from the R’s, the Rangers captain, Osman Kakay had the ball in the net but was ruled offside. Possibly harsh, but to be fair it was difficult to be certain from our position near the corner flag. However, the visitors immediately powered forward and from a very good position the ball was blasted well over the crossbar.

A through ball by Jeremy Arthur found Mitford in space who in turn fired in a shot which stung the keeper’s hands. A Leo Donnellan effort cleared the bar and a busy Tyrell Mitford was awarded a free kick after his shirt was blatantly tugged.

QPR successfully ran the clock down in the left-hand corner and frustrated the Brentford players in the process.

This was a very good performance by the R’s against a decent Brentford side. The Harlington Crew also included Alan Barnes, Rob Bennett, Roger Stokes and Clive Kingham.

Steve Russell