Exeter City v QPR – Capital One Cup 1st Round

Team: Murphy, Simpson, Dunne, Hill, Suk-Young, Jenas, Barton, Hoilett (Wright-Phillips), Faurlin (Derry), Zamora (Johnson), Austin

Subs Not Used: Green, Onuoha, Ehmer, Henry

Attendance: 5,253 (including 798 R’s fans)

The following match report was written by Nigel Walrond for the Telegraph:

‘Summer signings Charlie Austin and Danny Simpson scored as Queen’s Park Rangers brushed past Exeter City with a comfortable victory at St. James Park.

Exeter – two divisions lower – had won only one of their previous 24 League Cup ties, and they never looked like breaking that sequence.

Austin, a ¬£4 million capture from Burnley, was handed his first start by manager Harry Redknapp and took less than three minutes to score. Ale Faurlin’s corner was cleared to Jermaine Jenas on the edge of the penalty box, and his powerful shot, which was going wide, was deflected into the net by Austin.

City’s Polish goalkeeper, Artur Krysiak, prevented City from going further behind five minutes later, diving to his left to keep out Clint Hill’s downward header from Joey Barton’s corner.

Junior Hoilett weaved his way into a great position before delivering a right-foot shot, which Krysiak parried behind for a corner. More great work by Hoilett put Austin through on goal, only for his angled effort to be deflected away for another flag-kick.

Liam Sercombe warmed Murphy’s hands with a fierce drive as Exeter rallied, but just before the interval Krysiak again did well to keep out efforts from Bobby Zamora and Jenas, and it was a mystery how QPR reached the break only 1-0 up.

Jenas hit a superb 25-yard volley from Barton’s corner soon after the re-start that Krysiak punched away. But the second goal was not long in coming, and it was one of real quality. Andy Johnson, a half-time substitute, picked out Simpson’s darting run with a superb pass, and the full-back took the ball in his stride before planting his shot into the far side of the net.

It should have been 3-0 soon after, but Barton was denied by Krysiak’s outstretched leg. Exeter’s Arron Davies rattled the bar, but QPR’s Shaun Wright-Phillips also hit the woodwork.’

Nigel Walrond – The Telegraph