Another Point, Another Blank – Swansea City v QPR

Team: Kenny, Hill, Walker, Gorkss, Connolly, Derry, Taarabt (Smith), Faurlin, Mackie, Ephraim (Clarke), Helguson (Agyemang).
Subs Not Used: Cerny, Orr, Hall, Mahon.
Attendance: 16,742 (470 R’s fans)

Having spent far too long to get to a ground that is only three or four miles from my current home, due to Swansea’s utterly ridiculous road and traffic light system, I arrived just in time to hear the team sheet. With Faurlin in for the injured Buzsaky, being the only change, whilst Fitz Hall and Leon Clarke returned to the bench, also Gavin Mahon suddenly featured following the surprising news that he had re-signed for a month, and with no Leigertwood in sight !

We started fairly brightly, slightly on top of the Swans, with decent chances going to Ephraim and Mackie (ones that we may have scored back in September). On about 20 minutes, Taarabt went on a mazy run and was clumsily brought down within shooting range, if slightly a bit too far to the right. Unfortunately, Captain Fantastic could only smash it into the wall (rather than the sensible thing and cross it). Twenty minutes later, and Pratley went down, to be diplomatic, a tad too easily for myself and the 469 other travelling fans liking. However, Cotterill didn’t get his penalty anywhere near the corner of the goal, and Kenny saved it. As I said on the twitter feed, justice was served, and it sent the R’s fans into party mode.

Half-time shortly followed though, and after the break, Walker made a strong run into the opposition half, showing the talents of a young Glen Johnson (with a better end result, and for a far better team !) and produced a powerful shot that whistled just over the bar. However, it was Swansea having the best of the possession by this point, but were struggling to break down a well organised defence, with Kenny behind them if necessary. Although, he owes Hogan Ephraim one for his goal-line clearance with 15 minutes to go. Then with about 10 minutes remaining, Taarabt lost his cool a bit, and was lucky not to be sent off for firstly, a reckless tackle, and then a minute later for swinging an arm. He was then immediately subbed and replaced by Tommy Smith. All in all, a fair point, well earnt, and roll on Brizzle on Friday.

Sam Phillipps