QPR U18 (3) – Aldershot Town U18 (2)

Team: Bulmer, Cox, Waters, Davenport, Harris, Wright, Smith, Ehmer, Parker, Vanterpool, Molloy
Subs: Bailey, Perring, Olley, Nanetti, Fernandez

Antonio German was training with the 1st team squad, Javonne Molloy started and the goalkeeper rotation continued. In fact, Max Ehmer was playing virtually as a striker and this proved to be very effective. Although the R’s can sometimes be very slow starters, a nice pass from Parker found Ehmer and his gentle lob from just inside the box went agonisingly just inches wide. However, it was the visitors who took the lead after 8 minutes with a shot drilled low to Bulmer’s right. Ten minutes later following an Elliott Cox throw, the ball was lofted high in the air out to Cyrus Vanterpool who then headed for the box and belted the ball into the net via the post. As the R’s players celebrated and retreated, it was very unusual to then see the Aldershot players get into a huddle ! Rangers were having most of the possession and around the half hour mark, took the lead. Max Ehmer was tripped in the box and Josh Parker stepped up to take the penalty. He made no mistake, putting the ball right through the keeper. Half time: 2-1

The R’s went further ahead when Max Ehmer was fouled on the edge of the box and he elected to take the free kick. His well flighted shot by-passed the Shots four-man wall and then to the keeper’s right. A minute later the visitors pulled one back when a cross was side-footed into the net. ‘Reggie’ Perring came on for Cyrus Vanterpool and as Rangers went off the boil, Aldershot began to up the pressure. Keith Ryan made his second change with Danny Fernandez replacing Javonne Molloy. Fernandez made a good run down the left and was fouled just as he entered the box but surprisingly nothing was given. A good effort by Terry Smith was well saved by the keeper. Around the 90 minute mark, Josh Parker sped through the middle for a one-on-one but the keeper saved it. The referee played 4 minutes added time and during this period there was a wonderful moment when Danny Davenport knocked the ball up and his dipping volley went just over the bar.

The R’s stayed top of the league and the visitors remained rooted at the bottom. Alan Barnes, Rob Bennett, Roger Stokes and Clive Kingham were also in attendance.

Steve Russell