QPR U18 (1) – Colchester United U18 (1)

Team: Putnins, Cox, Waters, Harris, Olley, Davenport, Smith, Perring, Nanetti, German, Parker
Subs: Bailey, Ehmer, Wright, Brittain and Molloy.

On a mild morning at Harlington, overcast but with the sun beginning to poke through, the game kicked off about 5 minutes late. We had only just taken our positions adjacent to the corner flag as Antonio German burst down the left, cut into the box and his low drive was blocked by the keeper’s legs to safety. Soon after, the visitors went close with a header. Colchester had another good chance to take the lead when one of their players found himself unmarked in acres of space but his shot was kicked off the line. At the other end, the R’s were denied two penalty appeals in quick succession. Firstly, when Christian Nanetti weaved himself into the box from a right flank position and was bundled over. Then secondly from the resulting corner, Ed Harris was clearly fouled and once againthe referee ignored the remonstrations ! Half time: 0-0.

Max Ehmer replaced Christian Nanetti and 8 minutes into the half, the visitors took the lead. Colchester were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box, close to the bye-line and one of their centre backs was on hand and unmarked to head the ball into the net via the cross bar. There was some controversy when ‘Elvis’ Putnins came out for the ball and their striker went in with his foot up. The referee didn’t even show a yellow card to the culprit ! Josh Parker went very close after some nice play out wide took him into the box and his shot went just wide. Danny Davenport was booked for a trip from behind. Rangers equalised in somewhat fortunate circumstances around 13 minutes from the end. Parker’s cross to the far post seemed like it was going out and as Terry Smith and their full back both went up it looked like the ball came off the U’s player.

Keith Ryan once again took the team with Steve Gallen. It was a match of few chances and it has to be said that the R’s didn’t play very well but are still top of the league. The Saturday Morning Mob also included, Alan Barnes, Rob Bennett, Roger Stokes plus Pat and Tom Harrison. The next match is a re-arranged game against Luton Town at Harlington on Tuesday.

Steve Russell