INDEPENDENT Rs | The Boot Room : Heading the Ball

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 pmPosts: 1639Location: Now Colchester ESSEX but W12 in my veins!
With the move away from heading the ball at junior level following the research and sad loss of several footballers to dementia it will be interesting to see if the ban will extend across all football.
It is obviously something you can't just introduce overnight because the present day footballers would have great difficulty complying having progressed through the levels heading the ball as part of the game.

In a world without heading would corner routines change? Would giant defenders and centre forwards be a thing of the past and be shorter and more mobile? Would we see players throwing themselves feet first to block and clear shots? Would a header be penalised?

It will obviously result in more on the ground play and hopefully improve players ability to control a ball with the rest of the body.

Interesting times ahead. ( No pun intended :D )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:23 pmPosts: 3626Location: Running down the Uxbridge Road...
Some interesting points there, ESSEX.
But is heading that much of a problem for modern players,
given the nature of today's football?
It's a million miles away from the heavy, leather ball (which would become even heavier in wet weather), with hard laces as well, which would have been headed by the players from the generation that we are seeing afflicted with Dementia & Alzheimer's.
Maybe the FA/ League should do some medical research on the effects of heading the modern ball on the brain?

Last edited by steveqpr881 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 pmPosts: 1639Location: Now Colchester ESSEX but W12 in my veins!
Just found this online.

These are players from the past. Is the danger still present in today’s game?
Yes. It is true that footballs of previous eras were significantly heavier than today’s, but other changes in the sport – not least the pace at which the balls tend to travel – have offset the effects. “It’s the speed more than the weight that has the significance,” said Dr Willie Stewart, a consultant neuropathologist who leads a study in the field. “The modern ball stays light, but if you hit it and it travels faster and lands at a higher speed, it may be causing more problems. People suggest that because the ball is lighter, or that players are training at higher intensity, that the risk has gone away. There’s nothing to support that at all. Quite the opposite. Maybe it’s got worse.”

Apparently women footballers were found to be at greater risk in an American study.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:32 amPosts: 4656Location: top of the list according to pisspot
Footballers aren’t the only people that get dementia. My father has the condition. He wasn’t a pro footballer, amateur yes, he claims to have played for Wealdstone in the late 40s early 50s.Considering how many people that have played football for long periods, the amount of people with dementia is probably very low percentage wise. Like it is with all walks of life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:26 amPosts: 2302Location: Walkden Manchester
Each decade since the 1950s the footballs have got lighter and lighter and now in the modern era they are so light they almost resemble beach balls. Consequently 30 years hence from today I would have thought the dangers from heading the ball with the current crop of players in their prime is minimal indeed despite the above mentioned research.

There was a game I was at against Huddersfield at Loftus Rd approx two seasons ago when the match ball flew directly at me in the stand. I instinctively put my hand up to protect my face and when it hit I did not feel a thing! In the period 1957 to 1989 it would probably have broken my wrist!

Chris. Sorry to hear that about your father.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:23 pmPosts: 3626Location: Running down the Uxbridge Road...
Bernard, glad to hear you've finally achieved your life-long ambition.....
ball-boy at QPR.
:wink: