Author Message

INDEPENDENT Rs | The Harlington Herald : 1-4 Defeat at Watford Yesterday...

Post new topic  Reply to topic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pmPosts: 11252Location: W12 now South Harrow
News from the Watford site...

Watford Under-18s sailed to a 4-1 victory over QPR at the London Colney training ground on Tuesday (April 6) with Damani Hunter (2), Tiago Cukur and Sonny Blu Lo-Everton scoring the goals for the Hornets after an early strike from the away side.

It was the perfect preparation for Sunday's trip to Newcastle United in the FA Youth Cup fifth round.

“Looking at the week we’ve got ahead, you could look at this game as a bit of a banana skin, but the lads’ attitude was terrific,” said Under-18 Lead Coach Simon Clark.

“The way they’ve worked with and without the ball, the way we’ve pressed with structure and the way we’ve recovered was brilliant.”

QPR started the quickest and opened the scoring in the fifth minute when a loose ball from a corner fell to the away side’s number nine Sinclair Armstrong, who fired into the roof of the next to give QPR an early lead.

Watford reacted well and levelled just five minutes later with a corner of their own. Lo-Everton found Bosun Lawal at the back post, who knocked it down to Hunter to blast home from eight yards.

“It was frustrating to go one down early on. We had a couple of chances to clear from their left-sided corner and we’ve paid the price for that,” said Clark.

“We’ve come back and scored three goals in the first half though, which is so, so pleasing. We didn’t come away from the game plan and we created a number of good chances, which was really encouraging for our Youth Cup game on Sunday.”

Having equalised, Watford piled on the pressure and had numerous chances to take the lead, with Lo-Everton rattling the bar from 20 yards out.

Watford’s pressure finally paid off in the 40th minute when Lo-Everton found Cukur from another corner, and the striker tapped home from six yards to give the young Hornets a deserved 2-1 lead.

First-year scholar Hunter continued his fine goalscoring form this season, bagging his second of the game in the 45th minute as he latched onto a through ball and fired past the on-rushing keeper to extend the lead before half-time.

Clark said: “I was really pleased for Damani today. He’s been great for us all season and the two goals will be really good for him to get in that confident mood before our important Youth Cup game.”

Watford started the second half the same way they ended the first, and nearly increased their lead in the opening minutes when Shaq Forde smartly rolled the defender but his deflected effort cannoned off the post.

The Hornets got their fourth in the 70th minute when a quick free-kick allowed Ryan Andrews to play the ball into Lo-Everton, whose smart first touch afforded him the space to fire into the top left corner, putting the game out of sight for the away side.

The young Hornets saw out the final 20 minutes in a professional manner, controlling the possession and limiting QPR to just a few long-range efforts which goalkeeper Alfie Marriott comfortably saved.

Clark was particularly pleased with the performance of midfielder Kamil Conteh.

“Kamil was our captain today and he was absolutely outstanding. He plays with a rhythm and he must’ve made 16 to 18 interceptions today. His pass completion was in the high 90s and he never gives the ball away, which in that position is so important,” he said.

Victory moves Watford up to third in the Under-18 Professional Development League and makes it three wins in a row in all competitions, putting them in good stead for their FA Youth Cup tie with Newcastle United.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pmPosts: 11252Location: W12 now South Harrow
And this report from the Club....

QPR Under-18s were beaten by a strong Watford team by four goals to one at a very cold Watford Training Ground on Tuesday afternoon.

Despite taking an early lead through Sinclair Armstrong, the R’s were trailing 3-1 at the break and the hosts wrapped up the scoring in the 75th minute.

Rangers lined up in a 4-3-3 formation with Tom Middlehurst between the sticks, and a back four of Mason McLean, Deon Woodman, Henry Hawkins and Arkell Jude-Boyd.

The midfield three were Harrison Murphy, Harun Hamid and Mason Obeng. Omar Eisa and Adam Dougui looked to provide the width with Armstrong leading the line.

The R’s made a fast start through Dougui, who broke down the left-hand side before pulling the ball back to Armstrong, but his shot was saved.

Just a couple minutes later, Rangers did take the lead. A corner was delivered in and after a scramble in the area, Armstrong was on hand to smash the ball past the ‘keeper with his left foot from 12 yards.

Thirteen minutes in the hosts were level. A well-rehearsed corner was finished off from close range after Rangers failed to clear at the back post.

Eisa was then gifted an opportunity after intercepting the ball and skipping past a defender, but his shot was agonisingly saved by the foot of the ‘keeper.

Watford almost scored direct from a free-kick from the edge of the box, but the ball rattled the bar. Moments later, Middlehurst was called into action as he parried the ball away following a long-range effort.

Five minutes before half-time, Watford took the lead from another corner which was delivered in and stabbed home at the near post.

In stoppage time at the end of the half, the hosts then extended their advantage. Having won possession in midfield, they played a lovely through ball to their striker who managed to squeeze a shot past an onrushing Middlehurst.

As the Super Hoops were pushing for a goal, Dougui managed to get in behind the defence on the left wing. He then pulled the ball back to but Jude-Boyd, but the latter's shot was saved by the Watford ‘keeper.

Armstrong caused problems down the left once again. This time he drilled a left-footed shot across goal which was pushed away by the goalkeeper but only as far as Murphy, who fed Obeng to shoot over.

Against the run of play, Watford extended their lead further with about 15 minutes to go. A good bit of skill from their midfielder allowed him to get a shot away and fire the ball into the bottom corner.

A tough one to take, but the R’s will look to bounce back when they travel to Wigan Athletic on Saturday.

QPR: Middlehurst, McClean, Woodman (Trialist 10), Hawkins, Jude-Boyd, Murphy (Castillo 57), Hamid, Obeng, Dougui, Armstrong, Eisa (Sacapon 57).

Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC [ DST ]
Page 1 of 1
2 posts
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum