INDEPENDENT Rs | The Boot Room : Rotherham Game

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 pmPosts: 1638Location: Now Colchester ESSEX but W12 in my veins!
Followed the match and unfortunately, other than the superb Dykes goal, saw the goals and other near misses.
I don't mind us getting the odd defeat if it is not self inflicted against lowly opposition.

Yet another reason to not faff around with a winning team no matter what the reasons are. The players should be used to the playing frequency by now so why the changes.

As with the Cup games the second string players rarely rise to the occasion having been given their opportunity.

Are they paid too much to do nothing or is the absence of the old Football Combination Reserve League with weekly games resulting in them not being match fit?

Looking back over the years players introduced from the old reserve team,
which frequently did very well, would hit the ground running having been used to a system of playing.

Playing the odd U23 game is no substitute for Championship experience especially when playing against young players in these games.

The likes of Bonne, Kelman and the very poor Hamalainen who achieved a 4 out of 10 rating on West London Sport site, are not having outstanding performances. It is just not good enough to have an average performance.

Do they have limited game time as subs to shine?
Do they come on playing to orders and can't shine?

How Hamalainen was given a long contract I do not know I just can't see why when I have watched him. Maybe those who have watched him progress through the U23's can enlighten me. He appears to lack a footballing brain and unless there is drastic improvement he will disappear and be consigned to the lower leagues.

Bonne has had several opportunities to show he is worthy of his place but his goals record is very poor and he has been guilty of several glaring misses.
I hope Kelman will fulfil his promise but this could be a league too far, I hope not, but we shall see.

Some of these players now need to step up to the 'big boys league' and justify the money spent on them and follow the example set by Dykes who has turned the corner with some cracking goals recently.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pmPosts: 11144Location: W12 now South Harrow
We pretty much controlled the 1st half & there were chances. George Thomas had three efforts that evaded the target.

Charlie Kelman belted one from 30 yards which was well saved & later Johansson made an even better one when Osman Kakay's shot was heading for just underneath the crossbar.

Yoann Barbet looked like a 2nd wing-back for much of it. But then almost on the stroke of half-time, Jordy de Wijs had his hooter smashed & there was claret everywhere!

Our goal started with Seny Dieng's chip to Osman Kakay who then proceeded upfield and he put a great ball into the box where Lyndon Dykes took a good 1st touch & belted it into the net.

I have learned since 1986 not to be over-confident as far as the R's is concerned....BUT.... :shock:

The home side made 3 changes which definitely made an impact but how did we fall apart so easily :?:

Awful defending for their equaliser, then a poor attempt at offside for the second & finally we were caught out with a counter-attack when we were chasing the game.

The final 30 mins or so was shocking!!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:32 amPosts: 4653Location: top of the list according to pisspot
“Playing the odd under 23 game is no substitute for Championship experience”........ valid point but they’re not even getting under 23 games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:23 pmPosts: 3611Location: Running down the Uxbridge Road...
ESSEXURs wrote:
.....I don't mind us getting the odd defeat if it is not self inflicted against lowly opposition.......

You should be used to it by now!
They're the kind of teams I dread playing, we always do them a favour, it's ALWAYS been our way.
:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 pmPosts: 1638Location: Now Colchester ESSEX but W12 in my veins!
I was trying to be restrained with my comments!
At the end of the day these are so called professional footballers getting paid money most of us can only dream of and they play as they do. They should be paid £7.50 a week plus a large win bonus. That may concentrate their minds!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:23 pmPosts: 3611Location: Running down the Uxbridge Road...
It seems to be in the Club's DNA that we do better against top clubs, then struggle against the, er, strugglers. I remember an article about this in AKUTRs, it went back a few seasons & the stats were that we always won more points from teams that finished in the top half of the table. And this was 20+years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:26 amPosts: 2298Location: Walkden Manchester
OK we took a few liberties with team selection. Always dodgy that. However after nearly an hour 1-0 up and on top then a cave in to a poor team. That takes some explaining!

Reasons? Essex u R's has a few in mind :!: So too has the Loft for words match report.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
As usual the message boards are full of fans deploring the unacceptable collapse and the manager comes out with the usual unacceptable comments.
Wouldn’t it be nice for once for the players to explain what happened to produce their capitulation, or are they too busy counting their over inflated wages and booking holidays! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Good to see the old team back in action;
no, not Rangers - ESSEX & his young apprentice
:wink: