For everything that occurs around the pitch.
Steve Russell
Site Admin

QPR & Bournemouth have both been Charged....

Post by Steve Russell »

THE FA have issued the following statement:

Queen's Park Rangers FC and AFC Bournemouth have been charged with a breach of FA Rule E20.1 following their EFL Championship game on Monday 27 December 2021.

It is alleged that both clubs failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative behaviour during the 95th minute of the fixture.

Both clubs have until Tuesday 4 January 2022 to provide respective responses.
Steve Russell
Site Admin

Re: QPR & Bournemouth have both been Charged....

Post by Steve Russell »

The following article appeared in the local press on 11th December 1959:

‘Two Shepherd’s Bush brothers, supporters of Queen’s Park Rangers since they were youngsters, told a Gazette and Post reporter this week of a petition they plan to send to the Football Association, signed by QPR Supporters’ Club members, to find out why “diabolical” referees are being sent to officiate at Loftus Road Division 3 games.

The brothers, 20-year-old TV singer Tony Raymond and ex-Army referee Stan Hicks, of St. Anne’s Road, claim it is referees that are getting the home crowd a bad name throughout the football world.

They think that bad officials are:
• Keeping the crowds away.
• Lowering the morale of QPR players
• Making the club’s away games “needle” matches because of its dirty reputation.

Explained Tony, supporter since he was five: “Saturday’s game decided me. The referee (Mr R. E. Smith of Newport) made many bad decisions, and when he got four policemen to drag away a ten-year-old boy because he thought the boy had thrown mud at him, it made me really angry.”

Tony continued: “I was next to the boy and he didn’t throw anything at the ref. He rushed on to the field with a crowd of people at the end of the game, presumably just to tell the ref what he thought of him.”

“I tried to explain what had happened, but nobody listened. Then the national newspapers got hold of the story – and look what happened. Everyone thinks ‘it’s the Loftus Road crowd at it again’”

Brother Stan took up the story: “It was another case of bad refereeing at home games. Of course the crowd was angry. I was with a few Supporters’ Club members and when I told them of our idea, they were with us and gave us their names.”

“We want to meet the Supporters’ Club as soon as possible to talk about sending the petition to the FA.”

He went on: “Naturally we went immediately to the man at the top, Alec Stock (manager of Queen’s Park Rangers) with our complaints as soon as the game was over, but he wouldn’t criticise the referee. So if he won’t do anything about the situation, we think we should at least try.”

“We have nothing against Mr Stock or the club. We are both ardent fans and wouldn’t miss a game for the world, but we’re fed up with the position. I’ve seen bottles thrown on the pitch at Division 1 games, and that club hasn’t got a reputation.”

Tony explained: “The referees just can’t be taking into consideration the different standards of football they have to come up against in the four divisions of English soccer. They should put referees into different divisions of quality instead of allowing one to referee a First Division game this Saturday and a Fourth Division game the next.”

I asked about Tony Raymond/Raymond Hicks on the ‘You’re Probably from W12 if….’ Facebook group and I was very pleased to get this response from Thomas Stacey:

‘Yes I knew him before he turned professional, his name was Raymond Hicks. I worked with him at the Patent Steam Carpet Beating Company in Latimer Road.

I think he came from Wilsham Street in Notting Hill and the last time I saw him was in late 1959 outside a music shop in Denmark Street, promoting his recording of ‘Broken Hearted Melody’, but I think Sarah Vaughan had beaten him to it.’

If anyone else has any information about him, please get in touch.

Steve Russell

(My thanks to Thomas Stacey and also to Colin Woodley for sending me the newspaper article)
Steve Russell
Site Admin

Re: QPR & Bournemouth have both been Charged....

Post by Steve Russell »

Reg Leafe, the Referee who was replaced ahead of the 1958 QPR v Stockport County Match

The following article appeared in the Newcastle Journal on 29th September 1958:

‘Mr Reg Leafe, who was to referee the Queen’s Park Rangers – Stockport County match tonight, is to be replaced. The Football League Management Committee decided this last night.

Their decision followed a visit by Mr George Hurley, the Rangers’ secretary, to the London hotel where the committee met yesterday.

Mr Hurley drew attention to an article published under the name of Mr Leafe of Nottingham, in the Manchester City programme on Saturday.

In the article, Mr Leafe – he refereed the 1955 Cup Final and has also been in charge of many internationals – wrote:

“I’ve never met such a one-sided ‘home bunch’ as those who watch Queen’s Park Rangers at Loftus Road. They have a bad reputation among referees – for good reasons.

Several have had to bear the brunt of hostile demonstrations there, and there have been times when some referees have had to be smuggled out through the back door. Which doesn’t prevent me anticipating a near-future visit there!

I intend to make sure then that, whatever the attitude of the crowd, the visiting team get a fair crack of the whip.”

Late last night, Mr Alan Hardaker, the Football League secretary, issued a statement. This said:

“Mr Leafe has been relieved of his appointment at Queen’s Park Rangers tomorrow night pending management committee inquires.”

Mr Jack Taylor, the Rangers manager, said: “Our supporters are no different from any others and certainly no worse.

We felt that it might not be in the interests of football for Mr Leafe to referee our match with Stockport in the circumstances.”

The new referee appointed for the match is Mr E. T. Jennings, of Stourbridge.’

The match finished goalless.

As for Reg Leafe, he was appointed to take charge of a couple of matches in the 1958 World Cup and was known in Spain as the referee who disallowed a number of Real Madrid goals in their 1960 European Cup tie against Barcelona.

He also gets a mention in this article that appeared on the Home Page in 2009:

Reg Leafe passed away in 2001.