For everything that occurs around the pitch.
Steve Russell
Site Admin

Michael Beale?

Post by Steve Russell »

From West London Sport...

The club have expressed an interest in the 41-year-old, who is Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard’s assistant.

Beale was with Gerrard at Glasgow Rangers and has also coached at Liverpool and Chelsea.

QPR are looking for an up-and-coming manager with a background in coaching and developing players
and Beale is among those to be identified as potentially fitting the bill.
Kerrins

Re: Michael Beale?

Post by Kerrins »

In the words of Foghorn Leghorn....Ah said.....Ah said Who :?: :?:
steveqpr881

Post by steveqpr881 »

Didn't he once play for Walford United?
Oh hang on, that was Pete Beale......
Kerrins

Post by Kerrins »

:)
Tommy Cunningham

Post by Tommy Cunningham »

Totally underwhelmed with this appointment if it goes through, given the fact he has never managed at any level is a real concern. The man is a respected coach not a manager, maybe he will be able to observe the current underage coaches employed at QPR. Certainly room for improvement in that department.

This is a massive gamble by Hoos and Ferdinand, if it doesn’t work out then surely their positions should be seriously reviewed.

Why John Eustace another respected coach has been overlooked is strange, been with the club a while and knows the strengths and weaknesses of the players.

Somehow I think we will be debating the manager’s position at QPR again, sooner rather than later in the very near future.
steveqpr881

Post by steveqpr881 »

I'm fairly relaxed about this.
After all, he's been involved in some big clubs.
No. 2 to Stevie G, so presumably no mug.
Tommy Cunningham

Michael Beale spent just under 4 years working under Gerrard in Scotland, during that time their club won one trophy domestically out of a possible twelve. I never ever bought into this Gerrard being a great manager view, an outstanding player for club and country but hasn’t set the world alight as a manager. Beale followed Gerrard to Aston Villa, where their results have been indifferent to say the least.
Beale being announced as new QPR Head Coach, reminds me of when we appointed Stewart Houston as manager.

We all know how that worked out.
Kerrins

Post by Kerrins »

I must admit I share Tommy Cunninghams concerns.

All through the selection process I too have been very underwhelmed by most of the candidates. I really wanted someone like Dyche Mowbray Rowett or even Hughton. I reckon we need an experienced manager at Championship level or higher who has actually done something! Surely our aim now must be to try and push on for the play offs not to put the clock back two years or so and just tread water in the lower half of the table.

Having said that I will console myself with the fact that Brian Clough did start off at Hartlepool. You never know I suppose.
Tommy Cunningham

I am of the same opinion Kerrins that a more experienced “manager” was required, no disrespect to Beale but he is a coach who has never managed at any level. We needed to push on again next season, but with players that have been released plus others out of contract it doesn’t auger well going forward. Some serious recruitment is a necessity now, unfortunately I think our recruitment department has left a lot to be desired over the years.

I have no doubt that we will look to sell one or two of our assets, which will not help the new Head Coach.

I suppose we will have our usual trialists released from Tottenham, to make the squad numbers up for the underage teams.

For a club that wants to produce home grown talent, we need talented young footballers who have shown potential to play in the QPR first team. We also need a Derek Healy type of figure at QPR again, who can attract talented young players to the club. Then employ coaches who have the ability and personality, to develop these young players at QPR.

Sadly, I don’t think we will ever see this happen at QPR under the current regime.
Kerrins

Post by Kerrins »

Yep we sure could do with somebody like Derek Healey back on the scene!