For everything that occurs around the pitch.
Steve Russell
Site Admin

That Day in 1982....

Post by Steve Russell »

Steve Russell
Site Admin

Re: That Day in 1982....

Post by Steve Russell »

Steve Russell
Site Admin

Re: That Day in 1982....

Post by Steve Russell »

John was over from Dublin & wrote this on the Home Page 10 years ago ( do you still visit the site mate?)....
'
My memories of this Final are vague and clouded in the mists of time, and alcohol.
When we reached the final i booked a package, boat, train, hotel and match tickets.
I got on the boat at Dun Laoighre, outside Dublin and met up with two QPR lads from Wexford.

A Spurs fan who had travelled over on the boat with us soon realised as we queued outside Wembley that he was at the
wrong end of the ground. Once inside he went of hopping over barriers all the way to the other end of the pitch, like he
was in the Grand National.

I lost the other lads inside the ground but was well comforted inside the ground when the bloke beside produced a flask
containing whiskey, and insisted i partake. I don’t ever drink whiskey but i had several gulps on that day, but never since.

My only memories of the match are the goals and the apprehension any time the ball got to Archibald. When Fenwick scored
I was in dreamland. Met up with boys again as the ground cleared and we headed for Soho.
Ended up in a nightclub the size of a telephone box. It looked bigger as you walked in as they had a mirror covering the end wall.

After that we spent the early hours walking the streets singing until one of the lads wanted to go to sleep on a bench. Then after
what seemed like an hour we convinced him to go back to the hotel.

Next morning in the hotel in Kensington i encountered my first buffet breakfast, which seems a strange thing to say but its true.
When we headed back to Dublin on the boat we had a great sing-song and slagging with about eight Spurs supporters, some craic.

We made up a song “Archibald couldn,t score in Soho, he hadn,t got the know-how, la,la,la,la! la,la,la,la!” which won us the
battle, as the Spurs fans had been winning up to then!
Memories!