For everything that occurs around the pitch.
Steve Russell
Site Admin

Re: The Old Ship Pub in Hammersmith......

Post by Steve Russell »

Comment on the Home Page....

Jim Baynam says:

I started using the The Old Ship when I was 17 and together with a few pals (Bob Izzard being one)
celebrated the League Cup Final success there. Many happy memories of the original Old Ship, some
best not repeated!!.

Back then it was an old style traditional pub with access through a lane at what is now the rear of the pub
from an alley that bisected the old Bemax factory before it was demolished and replaced with riverside houses.

Back then it was run by Arthur and Phyllis Watkins who retired in c.1970 and it was then taken over by Barry and
Marge Roberts, it was their first pub after they trained at the Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road.

They became good friends and they moved on the the Kings Head in Acton then the Red Rover in Barnes, both
pubs no longer there. I lost touch with Barry and Marge in the early 1980’s and wonder where they are now.

Some great memories of what was a proper pub until it became a poncy gastropub.

I then moved down the river to the Dove, many happy memories of good times in that pub as well.

Not forgetting the wonderful Thatched House when it was magbificently run ex-Fulham forward Bedford and
Joyce Jezzard who was surely the best landlords that ever existed.

It stayed as that until it was modernised in the late 1970’s into what it is now.
steveqpr881

Re: The Old Ship Pub in Hammersmith......

Post by steveqpr881 »

When I still lived in W6, it was part of a great pub crawl, along the river;
Blue Anchor, Rutland, Old Ship, Dove.....then the Black Lion (by Bell Steps) if we made it that far.
Haven't been there for donkey's years.