For everything that occurs around the pitch.
steveqpr881

Re: West London Orbital Railway Line....

Post by steveqpr881 »

If you get a train into Paddington, there's a station called Acton Main Line which has a big goods yard;
this line runs behind AML & goes uphill until it disappears from sight- that's what this article is all about.
Kerrins

Post by Kerrins »

Ah Acton Main line station. Takes me back to my train spotting days of the early 1960's.

A group of us used to stand on the platform and watch those steam train expresses(Castle, Hall
and King Class et al) go thundering through. What a shattering noise they made. Happy Days.

I did not realise back then that this orbital line mentioned above was in the vicinity
steveqpr881

Post by steveqpr881 »

AML is still a good place to spot, except these days, it's all diesels. :(
Bill Elkins

Post by Bill Elkins »

Hi All,

Just posting to try and put a little context with regard to the proposed West London Orbital Line.

I was a Train Driver at Old Oak Common shed back in the day (June 1964/November 1984) before transferring
to London Victoria.

The Dudding Hill Loop should not be confused with the main line out of London Paddington. The Loop Line crosses
Victoria Road towards North Acton, being an extension of Old Oak Common Lane, via an overbridge.

If anyone can remember the old Walls sausage factory in Atlas Road, the Dudding Hill Loop ran immediately behind the factory.

I spent many an hour shunting freight in Acton Yard. Acton Main Line Station runs parallel with Acton Yard on the
Paddington Main Line at it's London end and I can assure everyone that there is absolutely no connection with the proposed
West London Orbital Line.
steveqpr881

Post by steveqpr881 »

Interesting stuff Bill, thanks for sorting that out.
Kerrins

Post by Kerrins »

Thanks Bill for all that detailed information.

No chance of a 14 year old scrawny train spotter knowing that ;)
Bill Elkins

Post by Bill Elkins »

:lol:

Just as an aside Bernard, I still have my old Ian Allan Combined Volume spotters book from 1960. How sad is that !!
Kerrins

Post by Kerrins »

Nice one Bill :) Great spotters book that. Unfortunately all my own editions from 1961 to 1963 long gone.
Bill Elkins

Post by Bill Elkins »

Bernard,

Just to add to my previous comments, my old Combined Volume is not in the greatest condition.
The spine needs replacing, pages loose, and locomotives spotted underlined in green ink. In a word it's falling apart :(