For everything that occurs around the pitch.
Conor Campbell

Owls Game

Post by Conor Campbell »

Here’s hoping that we come with credible attack options to be deployed.

Looking for a 5th game unbeaten and a more than reasonable chance of taking the three points.

Got to be two upfront. Got to be on the run flowing attack moves. Got to be deliberate prioritisation
of quickly taking properly struck shots that have a chance of bulging the hairnet.

Could do with another red card for the opposition. Never a bad thing.

Come on you Rs!
Steve Russell
Site Admin

Re: Owls Game

Post by Steve Russell »

Marti has shuffled the pack again & really pleased to see
Raff Pedder has been added to the squad.....
Steve Russell
Site Admin

Post by Steve Russell »

Ian McCullough for West London Sport...

'QPR boss Marti Cifuentes bemoaned his side’s poor finishing after they went down 2-1 to
fellow strugglers Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough.

Rangers led, through Ilias Chair’s deflected first-half strike, until the 86th minute when
Bailey Cadamarteri finished smartly from a Djeidi Gassama cross.

A win would have taken Rangers out of the bottom three but Anthony Musaba’s 94th-minute strike,
after the visitors failed to clear Barry Bannan’s ball into the box, ensured they left south Yorkshire
empty handed.

Sam Field and substitute Osman Kakay both missed very good chances late in the game, Field firing
straight at Cameron Dawson from close range a minute before the hosts equalised.

Kakay then shot just wide when well placed in the final minute after being teed up by Chair.

“Just before they score to make it 1-1 we have a great chance and if we make it 2-0 then we
win the game,” Cifuentes said.

“But the last 10 minutes of the game we were not good enough.

“I thought we were well in control for much of the game but we knew Sheffield have improved a lot
and play with an aggressive pressing style and the last few minutes they played more direct.

“But we should have controlled that situation better and had a better grab on the game as it
developed.

“We then had a chance when it was 1-1 but if you do not take your opportunities you give the
#other team hope.”

Cifuentes brought off Reggie Cannon and Sinclair Armstrong at half-time but said the decision
was purely tactical.

“We wanted to start with Armstrong because we know about his pace from in behind,” he said.

“But at half-time we felt we needed to be better at keeping the ball so brought on Chrissy and
Lyndon and I think they did a good job, but the last 10 minutes we lost control and Sheffield were
better than us.

“We dropped too much and didn’t keep the ball well enough.”
Conor Campbell

Post by Conor Campbell »

85 minutes into the game and having weathered a strong enough early 20 minutes from
the Steel City men, we had accounted fairly well enough for ourselves and were a goal to t
he good thanks to the industry and flair of Ilias Chair - which could have been 2 but for a Wednesday
goal line clearance which was aided by a whistle blown without much apparent associated reason.

At minute 85, life was good. We were 5th from bottom, on for a fourth win from 5 and racking up a
fourth consecutive clean sheet.

A clear scoring chance around the penalty spot materialised for Lyndon which I was already assuredly
celebrating as he positioned himself to shoot. Lyndon proceeded to feather the ball goalward with a
touch gentler than that of a bomb disposal expert. One could literally see the shot’s velocity diminishing
per blade of grass that it encountered until the keeper ended its trundle whereby we will never now know
if the ball would have made it across the line. I have hit mini golf putts with more venom.

I was still marvelling at the vision that I had just witnessed when the ball was delivered into Asmir’s net.
We should have been 2 up and were now on equal terms. I simultaneously felt “our own fault” and “how unfair”
which took me back to the childhood sensation of biting into a Findus Crispy Pancake and getting the lip burnt of
me by the hot gunge oozing out of it.

“OK”, I philosophically reasoned with myself —- we’re still coming home with an away point and extended our
unbeaten run and we’ve scored —- not all bad, can’t complain. At which point, Asmir was again pirouetting
to collect the ball from his net for a second time. Again, I was juxtaposed between “our own fault” and
“how unfair” which this time took me off to the too many times experienced sensation of burning your hand
on the zip of a pair of jeans that you’ve just pulled out of the spin dryer.

With no time to let in a third, I must wait for another game to see what pain it may conjure up for me and
what past first-world-problem psychological trauma may be brought to the surface.
ESSEXURs

Post by ESSEXURs »

At least Marti now knows that Dykes Armstrong and Kelman are incapable of creating or scoring goals.
We can’t keep relying on midfielders and the odd defenders goal to get a win.

have no threat up front to worry defences and by the time our ponderous midfield reaches the opposition
area it has given them time to organise.

As we seem to have been saying forever we should concentrate on getting in a goalscoring forward as a
matter of urgency in the January window and if possible a midfielder capable of regularly scoring goals.

For the time being we need to keep a settled side not this rotation scenario.
I agree about Dykes and his powderpuff finishing he is a waste of a position and 8 goals a season is a joke.
Steve Russell
Site Admin

Post by Steve Russell »

Sam Field booked again yesterday & in the 1st minute
the other night :roll:
Conor Campbell

Post by Conor Campbell »

Yes Steve. We need to keep 11 men on the pitch.

I was worried for Reggie after his early card but he did well thereafter to defend
strongly without getting himself in trouble.
Conor Campbell

Post by Conor Campbell »

Agree with Essex re: January reinforcements required.

What’s realistic? Looking at forwards, I like the look of Alfie May at Charlton.
I see Troy Deeney at Forest Green but he is not put the ball in the net there for whatever reason.

Need to test Sinclair and Rayan with a game played to suit their strengths. Maybe harsh, but I was
disappointed to see Sinclair turn away from the Wed goal line clearance.

I expect in his after-match reflection he will be disappointed not to have tried to block and score and
in the moment prioritised not getting a wallop in the mush.
Kerrins

Post by Kerrins »

Yes Essex you said it! and how right you are.

Armstrong Kelman and Dykes are incapable of scoring goals :( We could have nailed this game
if we only had a half decent striker out on the pitch. Sheffield were not finished off and the
Fat lady finished us off :!: