For everything that occurs around the pitch.
Steve Russell
Site Admin

Sheffield Wednesday: Another Sell-Out Today!

Post by Steve Russell »

And also our allocation at Plymouth on Tuesday :D
Conor Campbell

Re: Sheffield Wednesday: Another Sell-Out Today!

Post by Conor Campbell »

No reason why we couldn’t have taken the points yesterday. Sheff Wed we’re not unbeatable.

We had chances that could have been taken. And Chair had opportunities to pass to Hoop in a better
shooting position but insisted on taking low percentage shots.

We didn’t make good on our let off from the early sitter wasted by Windass.

Plymouth is a big game for us as it is our best chance of a win from the remaining five games.
We are at risk now but a Plymouth loss would just bring us right back to the k knife edge.

Nail-biting stuff!
ESSEXURs

Post by ESSEXURs »

We looked lethargic from the start.
Why we persisted with the hoof it up to Armstrong system I do not know. It was obviously not working
from the kick off.

Armstrong is not a centre forward/target man. He lacks control, the ability to hold the ball up and is easily
bullied off the ball choosing to claim a foul instead. Some might be fouls but the vast majority are soft decisions
for the referee to waive play on. He is an impact sub at best later in the game.

Nobody shone yesterday and we had the look of an overtrained tired team playing to orders against a poor Sheffield
team.

Where was the interpassing around the area? Where was the support for Armstrong when he did get the ball and Chair
and Willock reverted to their ineffective style of play so far removed from what they are capable of doing.
A very strange performance despite the excellent support continuing.
Steve Russell
Site Admin

Post by Steve Russell »

Good pre-match meet-up in the Eagle in the Askew Road with Colin, Bernard & Bill from Edinburgh.

The match started at quite a high tempo, but it soon became evident that our game-plan wasn't
working.

A lack of quality & the number of touches taken outside the box was very frustrating.
Just one effort on target :roll: Had recent results led to some complacency?

Marti held his hands up post match & I would expect a very different performance at Plymouth
on Tuesday.
Kerrins

Post by Kerrins »

It was good to meet up with Colin Steve R and Bill at the game. Well said Colin.
Spot on with those comments

I must say I was shocked at the truly awful performance by the R's. :o

This was as bad as any of those dire games under Ainsworth. We made little attempt to play any
decent football.

Mind you to be able to play decent football first you must get hold of the ball which
was something we failed to do for most of this encounter.

Further more it is no use employing as our main attacking tactic a hoof ball up field to a lone isolated
striker whether it be Armstrong Dykes or Frey. This does not work :!:

We have already proved this strategy is a failure under the previous Manager. Stop it. Work the ball. #
We have been pushing the ball around of late. Why revert to a Philistine style :?:

The sad truth of the matter is that on the day we were outplayed and yes outclassed on our own ground by
a poor Sheffield Wed team one of the favourites for relegation.

OK sure defeats happen when not expected but displays of this nature in our current plight certainly should
not...
steveqpr881

Post by steveqpr881 »

It was a case of ASLEF to the rescue for me, as a strike on Great Western Railways
meant I couldn't get a train into Paddington!
Still, just bought my ticket for the PNE game, so fingers crossed the Wed. performance was a one-off.
Kerrins

Post by Kerrins »

Yes Steveqpr881 lets hope that dire performance was a one off. Y'know thinking back a short while
you could easily draw comparisons with that 1-0 defeat at Stoke City....another dross team