INDEPENDENT Rs | The Board Room : "A Good Leader Knows When to Go - Tony Fernandes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pmPosts: 10793Location: W12 now South Harrow
From the Guardian...

Queen's Park Rangers’ owner, Tony Fernandes, said on Sunday night he would resign if the supporters wanted him out, insisting “a good leader knows when to go”.

With the club languishing at the bottom of the Premier League, Fernandes has spent most of the season fire fighting. He has struggled to deal with the fallout from a very public spat between his manager Harry Redknapp and the Moroccan midfielder Adel Taarabt, over the player’s supposed lack of fitness.

Fernandes, who in July sold the Caterham F1 team which he founded, recently rejected claims by the consortium who bought it that he had failed to act in good faith over transfer shares of ownership amid the threat of legal action.

On Sunday night Fernandes tweeted: “When qpr fans want me to go due to my poor decision making I will go. full stop.

“I stand by we have great players. need less politics and get behind harry and players. all players should be unified. Liverpool showed what we [are] made of

“A good leader knows when to go. time for me to leave at caterham f1. love qpr and AirAsia but there will come a time and staff and fans dictate that.”

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
'Need less politics and get behind Harry and players'.

Politics? He's the one who talks about 'world class talent' when he doesn't have any, while his mate Bhatia talks about the Champions League and being 'debt-free'.

That is 'politics'.

Managers and squads find themselves unpopular when results and performances are poor. If we do get a player or manager who is a cut above, like Remy, they leave anyway, whatever the supporters want.

Same with Chairmen.

Supporter politics or pressure doesn't push them out, they go when they've found a buyer.

THAT'S the problem with supporters. Not 'politics', but the absence of such things. Our satisfaction or dissatisfaction mirrors precisely the state of the Club, the team, our performances and results, nothing else.

That's what we're here to do. Support the Club and its interests against the self-interest of players and managers who are earning millions from the Club whether they ever win a game or not, and Chairmen who are losing the Club's money hand over fist without the kind of players or managers that REAL 'Champions League' Clubs with real 'World Class Talent'.

So Fernandes needn't point the finger at anyone else but himself.

No-one else will decide he is bad if he is good, that he is a loser when he's a winner, that performances are poor when they're great. It isn't our fault that his managers have won so few games, that his signings have kept us in and around the relegation zone, or that the Club's finances are so appalling.

In football, you make your own reputation. Results, performances, do not lie. Neither do supporters. His reputation is in his own hands.

If he destroys it, he has only himself to blame.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:29 pmPosts: 744Location: Amberley Road W9 now Wealdstone
Ingham 1 = Miserable old fart, who hardly ever contributes a positive post about the club he purports to support. Negative in the extreme with absolutely no alternative solutions to his hyperbolic, meandering utterances.

That is all :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:23 pmPosts: 3522Location: Running down the Uxbridge Road...
That's a bit harsh, Bill.
Ingham has the right to express his views, Shirley?
Disagree if you like, but no need for name-calling.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:29 pmPosts: 744Location: Amberley Road W9 now Wealdstone
I withdraw the phrase Miserable Old Fart. Stand by the rest.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:23 pmPosts: 3522Location: Running down the Uxbridge Road...
Fair enough.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't see QPR as a problem in need of a solution.

But if Fernandes thinks it is, and thinks that losing three times more money in two years than the total losses ALL his predecessors ran up in TWENTY FOUR YEARS (back to Jim Gregory in 1987) is the solution to that problem, I'm very interested to know why.

Or even just to know what the problem is, to which £178 million of debt is the solution.

And why is it negative to mention it anyway? If what Fernandes is doing is so good for QPR, what's wrong with talking it up? The only 'politics' at QPR is in the boardroom. If Fernandes wants Harry and the boys to stay, that's down to him, not us.

He's the guy who sacked Redknapp's predecessors. And Harry knows perfectly why. Poor results and poor performances.

If Harry has the know-how and the players have the quality to fill a 40,000 ground, fine.

That's Fernandes's idea, I take it. If that is the case, Redknapp's job is safe. The standard of play we'll achieve in order to increase our gates by that much every week can't be much short of what is required for Champions League qualification every season, as such an increase in support must be unprecedented, even in the Premiership, in a small Club with a historic average attendance of, what, barely one-third of that figure?

None of the big Clubs have even attempted such a transformation. Arsenal didn't build for one more supporter than they knew they had.

So why DO Beard and Bhatia and Fernandes think otherwise? World class talent, champions league, 40,000.

Fernandes doesn't have any track record to suggest that he knows how. Redknapp doesn't either. The squad isn't of that calibre either. And far superior sides than this at QPR have got nowhere that figure, even in 1976.

It is up to the Manager and the Players - and Fernandes - to get behind the Club, not the supporters.

We always are.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ingham1 wrote:
....40,000....far superior sides than this at QPR have got nowhere that figure, even in 1976.

Not true, Ingers.
Our home gate record is about 38,000.
Admittedly in the days of terraces, but that goes to show we can get
crowds of that size.
The 15 - 19,000 gates are a reflection of the limited capacity of LR since we went all-seater.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I think the record was 42,000 at the old White City, steve.

But I'm not talking about the record, or capacity, but what our attendances will be every week. Our namesakes, Queen's Park, used to get around 500 a week at their home ground - where the record was 149,500.

On the final day of the 76 season, we managed 31,000. On a day when a defeat for Liverpool at home to (Stoke, I think it was) would have given us the title by 5 pm.

Hard to imagine many other clubs - perhaps ANY other Club - failing to get a full house for a game like that. If we had only to win ourselves to take it, we might have had a full house on that day, whatever capacity actually was (Kerrins for one questions some of the figures).

Yet we played Leeds at LR, end of season, two years before, and got 35,000 - 4,000 more for THEIR big day at our home. Because they had just won the title.

That's the point. Of course we will get 40,000 a week if we're in the Champions League every season, and win the title a few times. Or, at any rate, it would be reasonable to hope that we might.

And we do get 35,000 or 40,000 for Cup Finals at Wembley, but that is the point.

That's easy. Naturally, our less durable supporters turn up for those games because it means very little effort (and expense) for ENORMOUS reward, because the occasion is a big one.

So I don't buy the idea that you acquire 22,000 extra seats and they simply fill themselves up. And I don't really believe that they will fill up with a typical mid-table, decent squad of well-organised triers either.

How do we get to the figure of 40,000? If we're going to be really good, why not 60,000? We could get that many, I'm sure. If we're good enough.

But the figure of 40,000, according to Beard, has nothing to do with QPR. It is the size of ground the developers want for other activities.

Let us see the world class talent now, or the huge spending that brought City and Chelsea their titles, or the Champions League Briatore and Bhatia talked about, and it will be more credible.

Chelsea's record is 82,000, but their ground holds half that. City's 84,000 for two Clubs (United as well). Our support holds up well because we are the size we are, and not as small as Chesterfield or Shrewsbury.

If Clubs really leap out of their size bracket so easily, why don't we think half a dozen tiny Clubs in the fourth tier can challenge us? We don't. And a 40,000 ground wouldn't make ANY sense on that basis, at least, I don't think so. A 40,000 ground costing £200 million - we're supposed to be the tenant, so we should be paying for it - would be a catastrophe if much smaller Clubs than ours filled up the Premiership by suddenly and unpredictably expanding.

It is possible to overperform, even astonishingly, like Ipswich in the late 1970s, in the CHampions League places, as it were, for 10 years all but one year, I think. We've only managed it once.

But it is virtually impossible to move into a bigger size bracket doing so. They are still a small club.

What do you think?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:32 amPosts: 1282Location: soho, london
we had some huge gates at park royal....

some mbs are suggesting TF has gone to return to air asia, who are struggling....
surely the club would announce something? tf is reported to have said ruben and amit are in charge now??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes, an article said as much, luke, but I think he denied it. Mind you, Amit denied the Club had any debt.

What is interesting is how unchanged QPR is despite any number of new chairmen, who arrived wealthy and left wealthy, while the Club remains small.

Their world is not like football, where your rivals turn up at your place of business and prevent you doing even the basics of your trade.

It is gladiatorial, sudden death. And the smaller Clubs never get anywhere near winning anything now, although once they had their time in the sun, too.

These days, you need vast spending - on quality - or extraordinary genius (if you're at a small club).

But no geniuses of that kind have been seen in the English game since before the Premiership. No Clough & Taylor, or Ramsey, or Bobby Robson at Ipswich.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:52 pmPosts: 10956Location: North London
our history is full of if only like when spurs brought the league place when we were above them .
that is so QPR

In these trembling hands my faith
Offline Profile