INDEPENDENT Rs | The Boot Room : Blackburn Rovers: Yesterday.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pmPosts: 10789Location: W12 now South Harrow
Good to meet up with Dundee R’s, Alan (plus new tattoo) & his son Liam, in the Crown & Sceptre pre-match.

Despite their poor recent form, Blackburn had been a bit of a bogey side & after the previous seven days we needed to bounce back.

I was bit surprised to see Nahki Wells alone up front. Have to say the visitors knocked the ball around effectively, but they didn’t worry us too much in the 1st half.

After a fairly flat half-hour or so it was a big relief when Nahki Wells hooked in our first goal.
Soon after the break Eze doubled our lead, taking his goal as cool as you like.

Then there was the penalty at the School End following Barbet’s foul. Not sure whether Liam Kelly jumping along the line pre-spot kick was more of a disadvantage to him?

I was so pleased for Bright when he got his goal. As we know his finishing lets him down at times & that must have given him a much-needed boost.

Jordan Hugill’s header was superb as was Ryan Manning’s cross. I would describe it as how an old fashioned centre-forward would have put it away (if you know what I mean)

Blackburn scored a late goal and after 5 added minutes Mr Hooper blew the final whistle and we celebrated to the strains of ‘Hi Ho Silver Lining’.

As Ilias Chair was signalled to leave the field he was all set to head for the tunnel. But correctly the ref put his arm on him to gesture Ilias to depart via the Ellerslie Road side. It was absolutely wonderful to see the fans along there & all the way round past the Loft & onwards applauding him & how he & we loved it :D

Ryan Manning was superb again & I thought it was Josh Scowen’s best game for some time. I was later asked about Liam Kelly & all honesty he didn’t really have a lot to do.

Bit disappointed at the Rangers turnout. The attendance of 13,560 included 1,076 travelling fans.

Thanks to everyone that purchased my new badge.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:29 pmPosts: 744Location: Amberley Road W9 now Wealdstone
A fair and balanced assessment of the game as always Steve, thank you.

Got to agree with your comment on Liam Kelly's antics on the goal line (and not for the first time) prior to the penalty kick. Totally unnecessary in my view. Would it not be more beneficial to stand still and try to anticipate where the opponent is going to place the ball? Time for his goalkeeping coach to have a quite word I think.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:26 amPosts: 2330Location: Walkden Manchester
and Bill....time for our defensive coach to have more than a quiet word with the back four :!:

All season our good football is being ruined by shoddy defensive play

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:29 pmPosts: 744Location: Amberley Road W9 now Wealdstone
Message for Yoann Barbet.

Penalty kick against QPR BAD. No penalty kick against QPR GOOD. Comprendre mon ami - tres bien.

Offline Profile