INDEPENDENT Rs | The Boot Room : News of a fascinating Football Film at the Irish Cultural...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pmPosts: 10775Location: W12 now South Harrow
....Centre in Hammersmith

John O'Mahony & Joanne Connolly are currently helping to promote a football film at the Irish Cultural Centre in Hammersmith, called Don Patricio, which is being shown on Friday 28th June at 8PM,

Tickets £8 https://irishculturalcentre.co.uk/tag/don-patricio/

It tells the extraordinary story of a colourful character called Patrick O'Connell, who played for Manchester United and then went on to manage (and rescue) Barcelona in the Spanish Civil war era,

Sadly, he ended up alone and forgotten and buried in a pauper's grave in Kensal Rise in 1959 - that is until a campaign was launched to put that right.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks Steve, I will look out for that film if it ever comes my way.
I have read a few articles about him and the work he did at Barcelona, so the film should be pretty interesting.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:32 amPosts: 4693Location: top of the list according to pisspot
Thanks for the heads up Steve. Real Betis unveiled a statue in his honour 2 years ago for being the only Betis manager to win La Liga. Bit gutted to find that out NOW as I saw England beat Spain in Betis ground in October. The film looks like it will be very fascinating watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:32 amPosts: 4693Location: top of the list according to pisspot