INDEPENDENT Rs | The Boot Room : Gordon Banks: The Passing of a Football Legend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pmPosts: 10817Location: W12 now South Harrow
Very sad news from the BBC, the passing of a football legend - Rest in Peace.....

England's 1966 World Cup-winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks has died aged 81.

Regarded as one of the game's greatest in his position, Banks was named Fifa goalkeeper of the year six times and earned 73 caps for England.

He is perhaps best known for his wonder save from Pele during the 1970 World Cup against Brazil.

Born in Sheffield, he won the League Cup with Stoke and Leicester, before retiring in 1973.

"It is with great sadness that we announce that Gordon passed away peacefully overnight," his family said.

"We are devastated to lose him but we have so many happy memories and could not have been more proud of him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
what a goalie. Brings back memories of that night we played Leicester in the 4th round, up against Banks and the Doog. Rest in Peace Gordon

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:29 pmPosts: 734Location: Amberley Road W9 now Wealdstone
What rousdonhoop say's.

RIP Gordon, goalkeeping legend without a doubt.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I was shocked to hear of his death this morning.
Even though he was a good age, I thought he was one of those who would almost live forever.
RIP Gordon Banks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:35 pmPosts: 527Location: It's in the Name
Agree Marion one of the True Greats (often said about chancers in this era) and a St Pats player too a sad loss. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hAnam dílis.
Its OK that’s a traditional blessing for someone we greatly valued.

Last edited by Dubliner on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:35 pmPosts: 527Location: It's in the Name
From St Pat’s Website:

It's with great sadness we learn of the passing of Gordon Banks, who played on one occasion for St Pat's in 1977.

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam

The following article was published in The Irish Times on February 1st, 2014.

Former St Patrick's Athletic manager Barry Bridges recalls how World Cup-winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks came to play one game for the club in Inchicore on October 2nd, 1977.

When regular goalkeeper, the crossbar-breaking eccentric Mick O'Brien was injured, Barry Bridges flew to England in search of a replacement. The search proved fruitless until, while at Heathrow for his flight back to Dublin, he had a chance encounter with Gordon Banks and told him of his plight.

"Banksy said, jokingly, 'what's wrong with me?' I said: 'Banksy, you've only got one eye,' and he said: 'I can see the same balls with one eye that I could with two eyes, I'll come over and play for you.' I said: 'You're kidding me.' He said: 'No.' He was going back to America a few weeks later but he said: 'I'll come over for a game if the money's all right'. "I said: 'leave it with me.'

So I flew back to Dublin and called a board meeting and they nearly died when I told them who it was. We offered him £500, which was bloody good money in those days. He flew over and I met him with the club secretary (Tommy Spollen) at the airport on the Saturday night where he signed in front of the television cameras."

Bridges had to leave the club secretary home to Inchicore on the way back to his house, where Banks would stay the night, but he was afraid that the World Cup winner would see Richmond Park and think better of the entire idea so the club official was under orders not to mention the ground as they passed.

The next day Banks became suspicious when they arrived at Richmond and he recognised the area. "We walked into the ground and you had to walk though a bloody great iron gate to get into the stand and the dressing rooms and we walked through and he looked at me and said: 'You bastard, what have you done?'

"From that moment on, though, he was a different class, he treated the whole thing as if he was playing for England. He walked in and shook everybody's hands, he made everybody happy. He told them, 'the 18-yard box is mine even if I have only got one eye'.

"We played Shamrock Rovers, won 1-0 and he made an unbelievable save at the end (from Eamon Dunphy) to keep it at 1-0. There were people up in trees, there must have been about 5,000 people there. It was a full house, we won 1-0 and then he went off to America."
Attachments:
C03E8B4F-3700-414C-9C08-491EA54F931F.jpeg
C03E8B4F-3700-414C-9C08-491EA54F931F.jpeg [ 144.92 KiB | Viewed 1505 times ]