INDEPENDENT Rs | The Boot Room : Welcome back Mass.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 pmPosts: 10862Location: W12 now South Harrow
From the Offy site......MASS Luongo returned to Harlington this week following his international commitments with Austrlia in the Asian Cup, and he admitted the tournament was a “disappointment” for his country.

The Aussies were the holders, having won the competition in 2015 when Luongo scored in the final to help his country to a 2-1 victory over South Korea.

But they were unable to retain the trophy, crashing out at the quarter-final stage to hosts UAE in a match where Luongo was an unused sub.

The 26-year-old found game time limited in the competition, starting only two of the previous four fixtures for Graham Arnold’s side.

The midfielder is focusing on the positives following his return to London, however, and is now hoping to be involved this weekend when the R’s take on Wigan in the Championship.

“The competition was a disappointment,” he told http://www.qpr.co.uk.

“We backed ourselves to do well and with the way it lined up with our route to the final, it looked like we would have gone far but one moment of madness in the game got us knocked out.”

A defensive error proved the difference between the two sides, and Luongo reflected: “That’s tournament football.

“You have these plans and the next minute you are on the flight home. You can’t predict those things but the good news is I’ve got a full week until we play Wigan on Saturday and I can prepare well for QPR.

“From a fatigue perspective, I’m all good. I’m raring to go and can’t wait to get firing again.”

Luongo has missed the last six games for QPR. In that time, Rangers have drawn with Reading and Aston Villa in the league, beaten Leeds in the FA Cup and suffered Championship defeats to Sheffield United and Preston before Saturday’s FA Cup draw at Portsmouth.

“I’ve been watching the results and I’ve been saying all week that the Preston performance really overshadowed the previous performances – we got a great draw at Aston Villa and a win in the FA Cup,” Luongo said.

“The Preston result is not a massive dip – it’s more a knock-on-the-door to say, ‘Wake up, let’s get back to the way we were before New Year.’”

While Luongo has missed not being involved for the R’s, he does concede he was quite happy to be out of the country when Rangers hosted Leeds in the FA Cup at the start of the month.

“I have never been at a club that has won their first game in the FA Cup!” he revealed. “Last year I tried to get away and not be around the place but we still lost!

“But this year we got the win and hopefully now we can kick on.”

Offline Profile